Is there a formula to lawn cutting?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by willjones, Mar 9, 2007.

1. willjones

willjones LawnSite Member

I have been in buisness 3 years thus far and I am making money. Sometimes I feel that I am either charging to less or too much to cut a potential customers lawn. My minimum is $25. I don't care how small it is. Some of these bigger lawns however, that grow like crazy, I do feel I do feel I should be getting more. Example 20,000 sq $56. Any of you experts feel free to comment. I appreciate the help. Thank you.

2. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

If you feel your work warrants you to charge more then next time you bid a property increase your price. 56$ dose sound a little on the low side. And 90% of the people on here have min of 30-35$, bidding is as much how well a job you know you do and how much its worth for you to do it, in addition to industry standards and min price.

3. willjones

willjones LawnSite Member

thank you martinfan06, I appreciate the help. You said that $56 is kind of low for 20k, if you don't mind me asking. What would you charge? Does this mean there is no 'Indusrty Formula'.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

theres really not one. you just figure out what your times worth, then your expenses. my minimum is 35.00. i would charge 65-70 for that lawn.

5. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Of all the threads I'm seein lately, I'm startin to feel a little better about my $35 minimum. My truck is a freackin gas hog - like 15 mpg city. Not to mention the mower and the handhelds. Regardless of being new, I don't think I should have to offer cheap ass prices as long as I do a good job and leave the customer satisfied right?

6. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

15 city is bad?? id give anything for that!

7. Ecoscape01

empty........no equip, no trailer, nothin. I'm sure it's gonna be a lot worse when I put it under a load

8. Ecoscape01

You gotta think I'm used to driven a Hyundai Accent that gets like a hundred thousand miles a gallon but it's like driven a go-cart. My friends make fun of me and call it the Mario-Cart and tell me I need to hit a mushroom or a star so I can go faster:laugh: :laugh:

9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

ha! well, i guess so. my truck gets 12 city. so concider yourself lucky!

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

v10 gas hog dually 10mpg

you have to charge what your market will bear plus what can you really do the mowing for and make a profit.

I have no price per foot.

I charge according to the following conditions

1. drive time off of normal route
    2. bagging or not
    3. amount of trimming
    4. size of property
    5. hills or slow mowing spots
    6. conditon of property do I see toys and trash is it by a road where trash and entry exit gonna be hard
    7. last a feel for the owner are they gonna be easy going or a pain
    8. also level of service do they want extras!

find what works with your set up and go also min. 30 here.