1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there a gas can law...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by fga, Oct 20, 2006.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

is there a gas can law, pertaining to what type of fuel is in it, going by the color of the can?
    Red is gasoline, yellow is diesel, and i believe blue/purple is kerosene??

I use nothing but gasoline, but use straight and 2 stroke. I dodged a bullet recently when a worker put straight in my lawnboy, but didn't start it yet. I just bought a Yellow can (the word diesel molded into it), so i can make it easier for them to distinguish the differnce of straight and mix.

i think the chances of this being issue are slim to none, but was wondering of there was a law?
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure it is law, Take a Marker and mark it on all sides and on top of what it really is. won't stay on forever but, it does stay for a long time if you don't spill gas on it.
  3. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

grab a sharpie and mark that bad boy up.....also, since you dont tend to use as much mix as ya do normal, think about getting 2 different sizes or something,

way to go on catching that slip before you messed it up, my new employee the other day ran an edger for awhile with straight gas in it-no mix....
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i just got done, doing some artwork:)

yeah, got lucky. saw him putting it back in the trailer.... knowing he wasn't going to be using any "straight" machine at that time.

i use mostly mix, but with the addition recently of a nice 36" exmark, i'm using more straight then ever. before this, it was just my walk behind edger, de-thatcher, and my snow blower.
    thatcher being seasonal, the edger... one tank would last a week. so i've been able to get away with a 2 1/2 gallon straight. and some 5 gallon mix cans. Not anymore.
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Adam, I'm pretty sure you are OK in NY as long as it is an approved container for gasoline. The color doesn't matter. The can does have to be marked as "gasoline". I'm still using the 5 gallon metal jerry cans, I just mark them with a sharpie. So far, no problems (knocking on wood)
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, thats the most important part, is that it's a DOT approved container. We use the metal Jerry cans as well and just spray the mix cans black. :)
  8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

OSHA regulations require that containers MUST be marked with what is actually in them. I don't really see you having a problem with putting gas into a can marked for diesel unless you get stopped by some sort of government inspector.
  9. coolbreeze

coolbreeze LawnSite Member

i use a 5 gal can for unmixed and a 2.5 gal can for mixed. i have the mix (40:1) written in permanent marker on all 4 sides and the handle.
  10. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I have multiple cans for different pieces of equipment. It just makes things easier for me. Each has a laminated tag (think luggage tag) that says either "gas only" or "gas and oil mix". The text is in large type, on both sides; black on white stock. I'd have to be brain dead to mistake one for the other. If it were an issue, I'd write it in in however many languages were necessary.