is there a good zero turn mower under $2000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pat'sPerfectLawnService, Oct 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. green grass lawn care

green grass lawn care LawnSite Member

man recently i got my scag 36 wb for an ar-15 rifle. other thatn that you are not going to find it. my buddy saw a scag like mine for 250 at the auction for 250, but it smoked "a little" we all know what that means. told him it would have been a good parts mower though. good luck. look used walk behind like said earlier. vince

2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

$2500 - 3000 can get you a decent ztr used in winter time when folks are selling their stuff

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

This is a low cost of entry business but not a "no cost of entry" business. Thank god at least a few thousand bucks is standing between us and a massive tidal wave of out of work, broke, temporary "lawn guys" who will still further degrade the industry's already shaky rep by doing lackluster work, learning on-the-job and making mistakes, and who will be gone the minute the economy picks up and their preferred field of work starts hiring again. Unfortunately, they can in the meantime further destroy the pricing structure , as anything better than $8/hour is a number they are willing to net if need be. And as you know, start-up businesses will work for peanuts to get the volume they need to insure they'll make anything at all. So those first 20 accounts or so are done cheap, because it sure beats sitting at home waiting for the calls from employers that never come.

God help you big guys if they figure out they can bid on commercial properties as well. You'd be dead meat. Any job small enough to be completed in 1-2 days will be done at 1/2 your price. The property managers, being under pressure to cut costs in a recession as well, will fire you, hire them, and sub out the speciality work like apps, flowers, and even mulch.

You might consider that before contributing further here to the "lawn man's benevolent association" charity that lawnsite has become in the last couple of years. You might be better off offering them a JOB than a way to cut your throat as your competition by handing them free info on how to get into your line of work.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Say, you're not into mostly residentials, are you? :laugh:

I'm just messing with you man.

5. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

He's right though, and you won't get a ZTR that cheap unless it's stolen... I always hear about how people go to pawn shops and find brand new stihl chainsaws for 100 bucks.

6. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, the new Bad Boy is $2999 with ezts, stout little welded 42" deck, and 21hp els engine. You need to stay around 1 and a half acres with it or less to last you a long time though. Or spend 3499 and get a 48" 26hp els.

new mz.jpg

7. tlojohnson

tlojohnson LawnSite Member

how fast does this mower go?

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Was it that obvious? :laugh:

I do residentials for a reason.

1. They are more concerned with who is stepping foot on their property when they're gone,

2. the price differential on small properties is not important enough to have a hack showing up (to many, at least), so they'll pay a little extra to get someone reliable, responsible, and in it for the long haul.

3. they don't require that I provide a turnkey service, so I can concentrate on the work I enjoy and that pays the best per-hour of work.

I can mow all day, but the things required on big commercial properties I couldn't compete on. I can't weed beds for 2 hours straight, then pitchfork mulch into beds for another 2, then prune shrubs for 2 more, and only THEN mow for 2 hours. But I can make a similar amount of revenue driving from small/medium residential to residential and spend a good portion of that time cruising on a ZTR, not working the muscles.

ANYONE with cheap labor (be it employees or their own) can underprice a solo operator who obeys the law and wants to earn more than peanuts. (not that it's Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous money to begin with) or a big operation with higher overhead.

Even though it's mostly temporary, a wave of newcomers could cause big disruption in the industry. I could see some firms with high overhead sinking because of it.

9. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I drove em last week, and I would guess 8 mph, it seemed very fast and smooth for a small unit. I should get my first load of them in a few weeks, and I will let you know all about them.

10. TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57 LawnSite Member

Nope. $2000 might buy the deck.. That would put a down payment on one, but can't get much until you are five or six times that level.