Is there a herbicide for removing fescue from bermuda?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cecropia11, Jan 13, 2013.

1. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

My bad.. dang phone autocorrects stupid stuff.. round up.. any generic round up...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cecropia11

cecropia11 LawnSite Member

At what temps?

3. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

It's glyphosate. Not glysophosphate.

Seriously. For years it's 32 ounces per acre in January/February here in the transition zone. Turf, hay fields, whatever. It cleans it up perfectly at that rate.

If I had to bet, you're not getting regeneration of that fescue. Either it's getting dropped in via wind or birds, or its bluegrass or poa popping up in the fall.

You're also wrong to assume that I assume its 1 gallon per 1k sq ft. For myself, it's 1/3 gallon per 1k sq ft and 5 ounces at that rate is pretty close to what I put down out of my Z.

10 ounces per 1 k of glyphosate is ridiculous.

4. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to get down to frog hairs, you should be talking about amounts of acid equivalent (ae) per unit area. Your 32 oz/A could mean different things if you're using a 41% product and the other guy's using a 51% product. AE/area will be the common unit for both of you, regardless of which product you're using or which spray volume you're using.

This isn't rocket science, guys. Do like the professionals do and talk about ai or ae per unit area. And use the right units and symbols. The symbol for 1000 sq ft is M, not 'k'. K is the chemical for potassium. M is the Roman numeral for 1000 and is used to represent 1000 sq ft.

5. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Baby steps, Skip. Besides, the odds he's not using 41% is pretty low. But at his rates, it doesn't really matter.

6. TurfWerks

Yes I meant glysophate.. my phone keeps auto correcting to glysophosphate. Anyway like I said I use 2oz per 1000 sqft. It's up to whoever is using that rate to determine calibration of their equipment..
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

1 gal/1000 is a standard rate for backpack sprayers, although i would venture to guess that nobody has any idea what nozzle they are running and therefore really have no idea what rate they are actually putting out. Glad you do.

Anyway, the problem around here, Atlanta, is that the bermuda hasn't gone dormant in 2 years. A roundup/diquat mix can be (and has been) a dangerous app.

8. cecropia11

IRRITECH

I am using 1/128 method so I have it calibrated to put out exactly one gallon per 1000 sq ft

9. TurfWerks

What sprayer are u using and how did you calibrate it?

10. cecropia11

sorry I just marked out 1000 sq ft and then timed how long it took to get uniform coverage to spray one gallon of liquid, with by the way this is not the 1/128 method sorry my bad.