1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a herbicide for removing fescue from bermuda?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cecropia11, Jan 13, 2013.

1. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

At least someone is calibrating a backpack sprayer like they are supposed to.

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

So what is the recommended mix for gly in a Stihl SG-20 BP sprayer, 2 oz per gallon? I've been mixing 5oz's per gallon, am I wasting gly? a cheaper alternative for killing fescue in bermuda might be Image.

3. I do 2 oz/gal and in the summer I get a 4-7 day chlorosis/kill and in winter about a 7-10 kill. Sometimes I bump the rate up to 3 oz/gal in winter, especially if temps are colder so I can get a quicker kill. Gly is cheap though so adding the extra chemical is nada.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cpllawncare

So does a higher mix ratio just mean a faster kill?

5. Yes, but 2 oz/gal with our heat/humidity and long summer and long summer days works fine. Like I said, 3-4 days you get chlorosis and by 6-7 necrosis.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cpllawncare

Cool thanks, I guess since we're a lil further north I'll go to the 3oz ratio.

7. Yea you may want to try 3-4....it's not like an extra ounce cost much anyways, BUT, doesn't mean you need 5 oz either.
    Posted via Mobile Device