1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there a hydro WB mower on the market for under under $2k?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cheryl, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I need your help.
    A friend is into the "high tech" gadgets for the home. He asked if there was a hydro mower on the market for under under $2k. I became interested in the subject, now I'm curious. I know from reading the interesting posts here, I haven't seen one under $3.4K. Is this because you guys are only talking commercial? Is there a "cheaper" less "robust" version for the home? I know from looking at those things, the parts look expensive as heck.
  2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto that...yeah you can get a junker for around that price. Anything in that price range wouldnt even last through residential use and abuse.
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Sure, Honda makes a 21" Hydrostatic mower for about $1,000. I know you probably meant a mid-size WB. I think you are looking at about $4,000 to get something respectable.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris makes a 32 incher hydro for around $2400.
  6. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a used hydro for $1800.00 bucks in 2001. Used it for 3 seasons now still runs just like it did. (starts on first pull 36" kaw engine)Just have to keep your eyes open,this guy only wanted pay off. Tony
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I got a good older used Scag 52 inch 14hp Kawasaki powered hydro walk behind for $800 last January and ran it up until the middle of this summer when I sold it to upgrade to a used eXmark TTHP 52" hydro 17hp that I got for $2,000. Not a single problem with either of them I know the Scag's still being used too.
    A good used one can be had for that price if you look hard. They will last forever at the usage a homeowner puts it to.
  8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe FrankenScagMachines, can build you one with some parts he has laying around. Like a SCeerisExCat or something. :laugh:
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

The $800 and $2000 mowers side by side. Just so you know what to look to get for your money.

10. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I'll sell you a used 1996 Scag 52" hydro w/14hp Kawasaki with single wheel sulky and catcher for $1900. It sits in the garage for now, but I live in Ohio so that could be a problem. :D