1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there a landscaper spanish/english translation guide.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by shovelracer, Apr 1, 2009.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I am looking to brush up on some spanish as 4 years of it in school are long gone. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good translation guide that relates to the green industry. Simple commands and such like, blow the leaves to the woods, grab the rake, place the mulch, etc. Thanks
  2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

I would make english a prerequisite.
  3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

If only it were that easy. That would eliminate 35 million people from being potential employees. I will say what I say to my clients when they mention similar things. I would be a heck of a lot more concerned about a the 30 year old american who is OK with $10/hr than I would be about the spanish speaking resident alien running circles around him. Seems there is some sort of relationship to english and laziness and spanish and desire to work. Seriously I dont hire illegals, everyone I hire must be able to speak at least some english. There are times where it would be handy though to speak better spanish. Without turning this into another off topic conversation, about being a pure blooded redneck gasoline drinking american, does something like this exist?
  4. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

I honestly dont know if there is, sorry for the remark.
  5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

we live in the USA.. the national language IS english.. we pay enough taxes to teach EVERYONE english... I only hire english speakers.
  6. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

One of my English speaking employees has a book called something like "The Contractor's Guide to Spanish."

I'll try to remember to ask him the correct title and where he got it from. If I had to guess, I'd say he got it from HD, Lowe's, or somewhere like Barnes & Noble.
  7. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, there is "Spanish phrases for landscaping professionals" by Jason holben and Dominic Arbini, ISBN0-9659717-1-6.

The ISBN # is all you need to find it. I bought it online, but do not remember where. It helps, but there is a lot of variation in what terms spanish speaking people use.

Adios amigo
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Are you going to purchase this book for all your Customers ?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Isn't Utah like 99.8% white or close to it? :laugh: Probably not much of an issue for you. Around here it helps if you can "comprende".
  10. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

The English language is an outsourced derivative of latin that was imported from England, this is America where we should speak our native language.

All the tax money in the world does not change the fact that the human race is made up of many cultures who speak various tongues.