Is there a law on dumping fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by The mayor, Jun 27, 2005.

1. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't believe watching the guy 2 doors down from me dumping about a half a bag of granular fertilizer down the sewer drain. I questioned him on it. His response was "It all makes it there sooner or later". Nice,what a moron. By the way he is the local cop. :dizzy:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, it DOESN'T "all make it there sooner or later". This guy is completely in the wrong, and your Dept. of Ag. would have a field day on this guy. I suppose he dumps all his oil and old gas down his fencelines to keep the weeds down, too.

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Cop or not, he broke the law. Some fertilizer may make it to the sewer systems, but as deluted runoff. S**t for brains should have been reported to the EPA. This type of action harms all of us.

Jim

4. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

Do you know where the water that travels into storm sewers goes? It does not get treated at the local wastewater treatment plant--it goes straight into local streams and rivers. Good neighbors,landscapers do not dump leftover fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, pet waste, lawn clippings, used motor oil, antifreeze, paints, cleaners, and other pollutants into these seemingly convenient waste sites. This is just plain ignorant ... c

5. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Cop or not, I'd make a phone call on that guy. That's absolutely ridiculous. Its not wonder the "lawn guys: have a horse-sh*t reputation

6. fertit

fertit LawnSite Member
    from 97034

Reminds me of my Chemlawn days long ago- I got a call from DEQ- "Hey two of your employees were caught dumping SCU down the drain here"... This was after they applied three 'non-customer' lawns trying to empty out the spreader. Lazy bastards were fired, but not after a few fines. Turn the guy in to DEQ or whatever it's called in your state. They have pay, because they are making us all pay in higher fees and lower profits.

7. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, i'd have a chat with your local dept. of agriculture and the chief of police. this is wrong in every sence imaginal......dept. of agriculture doesn't take things like this lightly and the fines for this and cleanup would be horindus. do the right thing, and turn this guy in. just my 2 cents worth......

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you really think they'll do anything to him? Cops are allowed to break the law. You'd better be prepared to look over your shoulder if you turn him in, because he will get you.

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Dumb, i live on a farm we raised tobacco for years,we got drain off from a field we have used for years draines in our fishing pond killed every fish we raised.

10. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

yes, i believe they will have a field day. if the dept of agriculture saw any of us dumping fertilizer down a storm drain or any way not perscribed, they would take us to the cleaners, file reckless endangerment charges, and other things i can't think of at the moment. hen, you'd have to pay for all the costs nto cleaning te site and e manhours needed n doing so. ths alone can take allmost any company down and to bankrupsy (please excuse the spelling). think also of it this way, if i saw someone doing this, do you think i would feel bad if i didn't say anything, or would you feel good inside that you did the right thing in turning this guy in. no cop is above the law, they have to obey it just as well as we haft to. him being a cop doesn't make him exzept, only more liable because he actually know's the laws and is knowingly breaking them. also, as someone mentioned in a earlier post, that water goes back into the streams and rivers nearby, do you think it would make a big stink if fish we're found dead in the water due to the ph change in the water or someone get's sick. it's not my decision, you do what you think is best.

Respectfully,

Richard/owner