1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is there a limit to how low in price youll go?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mikefromny, Jan 14, 2006.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

ok so i have a lady wants me to take alook at her property she keeps saying yeah yeah its not big at all (meaning realistically she dont want a high price obviously who does ) question is lets say it is not big at all is there alimit to how little you charge per customer? please give me some experience input here!
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If I understand what you're asking is there a minimum to drop the gate at a property? Sure ! Once you know what it costs you to operate you add your mark-up and set a price. It has to be worth your time to drive there if its a small property. If you can a bunch of them together thats great. But what if you can't and it ends up soting you more to drive there than its even worth to you? Use the search feature and locate threads on how to figure your operational costs and then you'll see if you're really making money or not.
  3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i would charge a minimun of $30 for a small property, this reate varries based on how small it really is
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

When a potential client starts that crap it throws up a big warning sign to me, "translated, I want my yard mowed for 1960 prices". My minumum (depending on if its on my route or not) is 35. Tell them your minimum before you even go look and you can eliminate a lot of wasted time on the bargain shoppers. My yard is not all that big, wished I had a dime for everytime I heard this one. It means their yard is the size of the ponderosa or its not very big but has 1000 plants or junk on a quarter acre. Or it may not be big but has not been mowed in 2 years and the ground is a foot deep in straw and leaves:rolleyes:
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you should already have minimum prices setup for all of your services. This way if someone says "well the last guy did it for this much." You can politely say, "Sorry, but my minimum price that I must charge is ...."
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

But getting back to the original question, the lowest that I charge for something is $25. And that is even if I am there only 1 min to pick up some sticks, or coil up a hose, etc.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I will not go below my list pricing.
    The only area you have to cut is profit as all your other costs are fixed.
    Also profit is a small % of the total job so it is very easy to cut it all and lose money so we don't even consider dropping below list.

We do not have a min, price but we have a cut price that starts at 20 and than adds up by size and difficulty. So I guess if you want a base price it would be $20 but no work would be performed at that price, any work would be added to that. Does that make sense?
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm getting ready to start on my 5th year...
    So, some time and experience has gone past.
    Which is not to say I never did things different, which is to say I tried all that other stuff.
    Then, I learned:

I don't drop my gate for less than 30.
    I don't work for less than 40-45 / hour, but the people willing to pay 50+/hour get service first.
    There's guys out there won't move for less than 40 while earning 60/hour, and why not?

Comments that mean they don't want to pay a lot? No problem, I quote the standard price, likely the answer is going to be no anyhow, so all I want to do at this point is get out of there so I can go give the next estimate.
    Half the time they start with this stuff on the phone, I don't even go out to give the estimate anymore.
    Want something for nothing, call someone else.

Soon, my minimum will be 35.
    It hurts at first, but not nearly as bad as the other way hurts in the long run.
  9. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

My limit is $30. But if I have reglar customers next to somebody that wants very basic yard work and mybe limited income I might drop to $25. Right now I've got one I do for $28. She was happy because I droped the price two dollars. The yard takes 15 minutes to do and I have 4 neighbors I do for $30.
  10. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

I'm like most here, I wont stop for less than 30 and thats if its on my route that day. Remember traveling time costs you money. If you have to go out of your way to pick up 30 bucks, is it really worth it? Not in my book.