1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is there a mkt for 21" mower only use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 12, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

over the years, i've had my fair share of customers requesting we use a 21" mower. they like the way it looks better, and they are intimidated by the big machines, they think you will damage thier yards, etc. and, i also believe, some people just don't want to see u make $30 by spending 15 min on thier lawn. so, do you think there would be a market for one who advertises that they only use "small" mowers? naturally, it would be more expensive for the client, but, is it worth a shot?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i believe jim lewis uses 21" mowers soley for his business. none of my properties are small enough to even consider using a 21"
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

jim lewis, from what i understand, cuts small lawns. i'm speaking of, offering 21" cuts, for properties of every size(within what is humanly possibe) none of us would cut a 5, 6, 7, 8 k lawn with a 21", but, what if the client was willing to pay the difference? so my question again, if you advertised for it, could you build on this
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I think you, as the professional, should use your best judgement and select the mower that is going to cut most efficiently for you and with the highest quality for the customer.
  5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I've ownly used 21" lawn boys for 6 years now. I just was given a 32" WB, that will help out alot, but if need be, i could get along with out it. But the properties here you can get away with it. Some of the pics of properties I've seen posted on here, I wouldn't even consider a 21". Unless like bobby said, the price was worth it....
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

hell, i'll vacuum your lawn if you pay me my usual hourly rate.

so i guess the answer is yes you could, of course i'd bring 5-6 guys though
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The only way I would be interested is if I could use a velke with my 21 incher...LOL
  8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

When I was like 14 I worked w/a guy who had 3 crews all we used were 21" toro commercial mowers. When he had a large prop. he would have everyone go and knock it out. So on the large one's he'd have 5 or 6 guys there. He was a school teacher and he maid more $ in the summer's than he did working for the school.
  10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is a good Idea. We have been thinking of doing the same thing also. I can't count how many times we have heard the phrase "I don't want that big mower on my yard" referring to the Stander that we are going to sell. We are thinking of changing our door hangers to say something about the fact that we will only use a small mower on their yard.