Is There A Problem With Kohler Engines?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by RichBay, Mar 19, 2005.

1. RichBay

RichBay LawnSite Member

This morning a dealer told me they cannot reccomend a ZTR with a Kohler becasue of maintenance issues on the Kohler Engine. Specifically they told me the Kohler engines have a habit of blowing head gaskets.

I am interested in buying an ATZ which is only offered with a Kohler 27.

Your experience and comments will be appreciated.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Kohler did have problems many years ago with the 25hp units blowing head gaskets.
    This was resolved and no longer is a issue.
    The 27hp you are looking at has been virtually bullet proof in our applications, it is a very popular engine choice and I feel you will not have any issues.

Pj

3. RichBay

RichBay LawnSite Member

Your reply is more or less what I anticipated. I can't imagine you would be building machines with an engine which consistantly shows problems.

I should be picking up my ATZ later this week.

Thanks

Rich Bay

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 25hp Kohler Magnum that is 6 years old. Its been more dependable than the Kawasakis I have.

5. MisterLandscape

MisterLandscape LawnSite Member

In my dealership the Kohler has proven to be very reliable and in fact is the most popular engine we sell. The 27hp and the 28EFI Kohler are in my opinion bullet-proof as long as you change the oil somewhat regularly and keep the aircleaner somewhat clean. They are just great engines and I can honestly say I have not had a single Kohler that was under 2500 hrs in the last 5 years blow a head gasket. ( I just checked my computer for warranty claims and we have filed ZERO for head gaskets!!!)

Steve