1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there a real difference/??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

What about this. What’s all this about, constantly talking about how fast a Z is and it’s more productive because it’s faster. Let look here. Obviously, in other Landscaping jobs we work at a pace so we can make it through the whole day. We don’t run around with the weed wacker, hedge trimmer, wheel barrow or backpack blower, we work at an acceptable pace.
    So, why do we try to say a rider is faster because is can mow at 10 mph? Most of realize you usually mow in the 4 to 7 mph Furthermore, yes you can mow at 10 mph, but it’s hard on the body, more dangerous and the cut, in many situations suffers.
    The point I’m trying to make is, for equal deck sizes, and for the guy mowing “for the long haul”, today’s good WB/sulky combos are just as efficient as a Z.
    I know my machine will cut at 9 mph, but I don’t cut that fast unless the ground is super smooth and the grass will accept a good cut at that speed. Now, I also realize a z is faster on lawns that are very large, because of the fatigue factor, but that should all be part of the type of lawns you have to cut. And, the fatigue factor can end up a problem by saving your legs not using the velky and damaging your back instead on the rider.
  2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Pete what I cant stand the most is seeing somone on a 60 Z mowing a postage stamp lawn. My brother will do that . I shake my head everytime, we make no better time and the job looks horrible. Now we do have some bigger acre Bihia, I wouldnt touch those lawns without a Z. I think they both have there places. For me in FL a WB is better for our Flortam lawns because it wont rut .
  3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete, I think you're looking at this from the residential/small commercial perspective. From the larger commercial perspective, a wb/sulky combo is not as efficient. It's not as maneuverable, it's slower and it's more dangerous, due to the precarious position you're in. Cut quality of a WB does tend to be a little better but as long as you keep SHARP BLADES on your Z, you'll do fine.
  4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I feel the same way. I have watched a crew mow down the street from me and the owner gets on his 52" grasshopper and cuts the front with trees and beds which is only about 1k sq. ft. One of his guys goes to the back with 21" and the other guy starts trimming. They do have a 48" wb on the trailer and by the time the ztr is done the guy with the 21" comes from the back which is about 3k sq.ft. This guy also has his two outside blades on the mower upside down and thinks it works better.
  5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Since your a hustler man,borrow a 27/61 super z for a whole week this spring when grass is high and your busy from daylight till dark.IMO you'll see a differance.I will Never buy another w/b,I'll keep the one I have for really steep hills but its ztrs only from here on out.
  6. Doc Pete

My main concern is just to help each other. Already, from some of the posts, each machine has its place, and “we” can help make newer guy’s make the right choice when buying a machine.
    I can see by your post you don’t have the right WB, since they can maneuver as well, or better and are not any more dangerous than a Z. In fact, as an owner of both machines, (which you may be, but have the wrong WBV) I’ve ran into (pardon the pun) more problems with the Z when trimming around trees. With the Z you can’t duck under a branch, which you can with a WB/velky. Also, when backing up or mowing backwards, the view from a WBV is better than a Z. Finally, you can zero turn a WB faster than a Z. I think the problem is “you” just have the wrong WBV.
  7. Doc Pete

I don't disagree with you, "if" I had the correct lawns to use it on. I just don't, which part of my whole post. BTW, I did demo one. It was just too bumpy and big for the lawns I do. You know I'd have one if I could use it.;)
  8. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Switchless, whats up with the new thread.
    I think you know deep in your heart what is more productive.
    Z or walk behind.
    Why are you starting up a second thread about a topic that is already being discussed on another thread.
    Its a wast of bandwidth on this site.
  9. Doc Pete

Just look the other way......
    And yes I do know what more productive, for a given lawn. Also, get back to me (pardon the pun again) when you are 60 and have been riding the Z for 30 years, and need a wheechair to get around.
  10. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

What walk behind do you prefer? You may have posted previously, but I missed it.