Is there a "REAL" mulch kit from Wright MFG?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 25, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'm curious if Wright ever came up with a real mulch kit? Something beyond just a chute blocker. Also will it fit the Sentar's?

I'm thinking the ones I'm looking at are the Sentar II's. They have the oil cooler and red linkages on the hydros. Is this correct?

I'm wondering why they don't use canister air filtration though?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Hey.... where are the Wright guys????

And why does my wife think the Sentar is a rollover death trap and not want me to get one?
    She was with me when I took a look.
    Despite the fact the dealer, his tech and myself argued the point...
    She is still unconvinced!!!

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

yes they have a Baffled Kit similar to Micro Mulch.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Seriously? Or are you pulling my leg?

Great if they do....

The wife still ain't convinced it won't roll over easy....

Personally, I'll need to spend some good time on a demo.
    The double bar controls seem like a challenge.
    The seat suspension is very cushy.
    But I'm not sure it won't 'buck' me a lot being out back.
    The lack of a backrest also forces me to question back cramps from extended use.
    Plus I already know the foot plate for standing is to forward/short.
    A short demo proved that to me.
    The family jewels are too close to the controls while reversing.

Funny thing is the foot plate could easily be extended back without adding any length to the machine. Go figure I guess. The stander is by far the most comfortable for standing.

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Dude your wife is right, you will surely die if you buy that thing! :D
    So what is it about the Sentar that is compelling you to look at them? I ask because I have never been thrilled by them myself.

6. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I have two 61'' 25hp Sentars and think they are the most stable rider mower I have ever used on hills. I would buy another when it's time. You guys that give all these opinions and then say "I should demo one" just go try one and see for yourself.

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I demoed a wrght stander 36" with the mulch kit on it.

Now I will qualify this by saying that since I demoed it I found out that my local wright dealer is a bonehead when it comes to set up and repair.

But that mulch kit stunk. I didn't have clippings all over. But I also didn't have evenly cut grass. Remember that hair cut you gave yourself when you were 4. That is what my lawns looked like. I changed deck height and deck angle, cut fast, cut slow even tried backwards.
    Nothing helped. Backwards was worse.

Again it may have been dealer error, but I was NOT impressed.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Well, here is what interest's me about the Sentar....

It has very "cush" seat suspension. I have a bad back.

You can sit or stand. At times I mow enough at one sitting for my butt to get saddle sore. But at the same time I'm diabetic. So I'm really afraid (for several reasons) of committing to standing all the time on as stander type machine or walk behind sulky.

The machine is REALLY compact, which is something I have grown to appreciate out in the field. It's way shorter than a WB and also still shorter than even the most compact conventional ZTR.... while also carrying the same size or even larger deck.

I'm also really impressed with the new hydro system. Nice Nice Nice.

Nice heavy duty deck construction.

The machine looks like it has a really low center of gravity and it would seem it would get much better traction since I'd be out back between the tires. I out weigh the engine by a good 100 lbs I'd say. Plus you can bail off quick if you get in big trouble. If you can't tell already, there are lots of hills and rough terrain to deal with here.

Last but not least, it seems to me that Wright has really went over the top to stand behind there product and make needed improvements.

Hey, who was that member who had one for sale with low hours?

9. Envy Lawn Service

Precision,

Yeah, now I remember reading that post from you. Slipped my mind. I remember your results were not good. But you were never really sure if it was the design or the way the dealer set the machine up.... right?

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am pretty sure Itsgottobegreen was the fella with the sentar for sale. I just asked because I did not care much for the unit. I would be suprised if it were more stable on hills then my Super Z, but maybe it is. I think with the shorter wheelbase you will loose some stability as well. Maybe the new ones are designed better, but the ones I tried standing would be very difficult to do. I was not overly impressed by the discharge, but again maybe that has improved. Well, I wish you well with whatever you decide on.