Is there a rust-proof spray?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, May 23, 2004.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I was looking to buy a spray that is rustproof or makes the water bead up on the surface of a metal. I wanted to spray some on my riding mower. I noticed some rust developing on it when it had a few drops of water on it. Any one know of any? or what it might be called? I want it to be used on a mower deck (or any type of metal) to prevent from rusting. Thanks!

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i use air tool oil on my deck the under side etc it works great and has a rust stopper in it

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

But it would stain the surface. I want a clear substance.

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

well i have grasshoppers so i dont care what happens to teh brown on them but other then that i am not sure sorry that i couldnt help you

5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

OMG, it is afterall a lawn mower. Paint will fade and chip off and then you have....RUST!

But if you must then wax it. Or spray with WD-40 and then wipe it off and then the dirt will stick to it and then u will have to wash it and then spray it and then wash it and then spray it and then wash it, well you get the idea.

Second thought just put up with the rust.

I takes years and years to rust through a deck.

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

POR15, stands for Paint over rust. It is a little expensive but well worth it. I think there is a website, they have a number of amazing products.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

yea i second por15, i use it all the time on cars, we coated an entire frame with it and it was like powdercoat. Very tuff stuff, just get the one that is ok in sunlight because the original will fade in a day or two of sun.