1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there a safe way...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rednekk frank, Jul 28, 2009.

1. rednekk frank

rednekk frank LawnSite Member
    from NE PA

...to haul 16' lumber in an 8' pickup bed?

I need to get a bunch of 16' 2x8s and 2x10s. Is there a safe way to haul these in my truck? I could borrow a trailer, but I'd rather not as the area I'm taking it to isn't exactly trailer friendly. It would be a distance of about 15 miles, with a few fairly steep inclines along the way.

What's the best way to load it to make sure it stays put?
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Lay it on top of the tailgate hanging over about 1'-2'

Put something on the top of the cab so it wont scratch

Put the other end on top of the cab

so it will be low at the tail gate and going up at and angle

It should end up about 5'-6' over your hood.

Just be sure to ratchet it down tightly so it can't move side to side.

Be aware of your height, no drive through at Mc'y D's. :laugh:
  4. rednekk frank

from NE PA

Thanks, that bed extender looks like the ticket. Now to see if I can find one locally, as I need to get this lumber before the weekend.

I was going to just lay the tailgate down (giving me about 10' of bed surface), put the lumber in, throw a couple hundred pounds on top up against the cab, and then cinch it down with a ratchet strap to keep it tight. However, I was told by several folks that this was a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks again.
  5. rednekk frank

from NE PA

I should have mentioned that my truck has a cap on it which is a major PITA to remove by myself.
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

7. rednekk frank

from NE PA

You, my friend, are a lifesaver. I pass a Harbor Freight store twice each day. Thank you!
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You are going to watch the overhang. The cops might have something to say about it :laugh:

I don't know how much weight you want to carry but just watch out for the power steering :laughing:

Before you spend a whole pile of money see if the lumber or store delivers a 30 dollar delivery is cheaper than spending 100 dollars for the bed extender.

When I worked in a lumber yard we used to put a 4x4 accross the back of the tailgate. It gives the lumber some rake back and slide it in. Usually get the long stuff in then slide some short stuff over top.

I helped a guy put 20 foot lumber in the back of a pickup with a 6 foot box I said are you sure the customer wanted it done. I closed my eyes after he left :dizzy:
  9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

16' is nothing. My uncle had a 32' LVL beam tied to the pipe racks on his work van.

But yeah, that extended doohickey looks to be the ticket.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

the thing for the hitch reciever seems to be a good plan. my neighbor has one he uses all the time