is there a selective herbicide labeled for killing orchard grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cecropia11, May 20, 2013.

1. cecropia11

cecropia11 LawnSite Member

Is there a selective herbicide labeled for killing orchard grass?

I have checked and read product labels and none of them list orchard grass, except glyphosate, I also noticed orchard grass is a perennial, so it does not go dormant here, which means no pre emergent control. I looked at the MSMA 6.6 label and it does not even list that it kills orchard grass is the only option digging it up, or glyphosate.

2. Crist Clapper

Crist Clapper LawnSite Member

Anything?? Anything? I too need the same. Help?

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Dig it out or use Roundup, then seed with compost.

4. Crist Clapper

Crist Clapper LawnSite Member

Not very "selective"! :D

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

There are no other choices I am aware of.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=230789

Since then, Topramezone(Pylex) has been labeled as well. I say, if your only other option is RoundUp, it is worth trying the Tenacity + Turflon or Pylex + Turflon. Of course, if you are in a warm season area, there are a lot of triazine and sulfonylurea herbicides labeled for turf.

7. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

Why can't you use generic 2,4-d? I don't care about the label, it kills damn near everything but grass. Kinda how if Glypho listed everything it kills in the indicated uses section, the manual would be 300+ pages.

8. gbmatt

gbmatt LawnSite Member

Orchard grass is a grass. If that statement were true I would never have to buy Solitaire. If you don't want to spot spray roundup, the next best thing would be to wipe the roundup on the plant using a cotton glove over your chemical glove, but that would not be doable if you have a lot of area to cover. It has worked for me if you have some clumps coming up here and there, it always grows faster and taller than the other grass so you can let it grow up a little and get it without getting any on the turf.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The C & C of Honolulu has rigged up a tow behind wiper system to apply RoundUp to grassy weeds infesting fine turf areas. It drags a weed wiping curtain fed by a 12V pump a few inches above the grass. Tall grassy weeds are the target. It works pretty well provided the turf is not undulating or sloped.

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a little problem with orchard grass in a handful of lawns this past spring. I tried all of the sulfonylureas and even tried MSMA/Sencor. Nothing killed it. I made note of which accounts and they will be sprayed with a blanket application of Glyphosate with the Spring pre-emergent while the Bermuda is still dormant.
    There are no selective herbicides that work that I am aware of...