Is there a shot to finish fall clean ups

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by siklid1066, Dec 19, 2007.

1. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

Anybody going to attempt to finish there work for 2007.Here on Long Island we still have 20 percent ice and snow on the ground.The bulk of the ice is where the debri is and its iced in there.:hammerhead:::cry::dizzy:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My shot is I don't WANT to deal with this crap much into January... :laugh:
    But you do what you have to do, late is still far better than spring, I know that much.
    And leaves here didn't fall until Thanksgiving, that's like 2-3 weeks late too...

My one bonus is I didn't get too many folks trying to jerk me around over it, that did help considerably.

So sometimes I have to look back and think, is there anything I could've done different that might help next year?
    Now I'm fixing to head out again, a high of 54 outside per the weatherman, that's pretty decent around here.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still not giving up on finishing. We still have an inch or so of snow on the ground, but it is melting somewhat. I don't care if it is the week after Christmas or the first week in January, I'm going to try to finish. Still a lot of money on the table.

4. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

this weekend temps are forecasted to be in the 40s and 50s with rain so hopefully everything will melt away

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

How long before the "Who's working on Christmas Eve/Day?" thread starts? LOL:laugh:

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

we have a good frozen 8 to 10 inches on the ground and i still have 5 full cleanups left. Im about ready to give it up until spring.:hammerhead:

7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I went out today and finished a bunch. There were a few frozen areas I just left alone and will get later, but they all look 90-100% better than they did.

Al Inc.- I might work Christmas Eve during the day- cleaning gutters- should be done w clean-ups by this fri! I HOPE!

I saw a bunch more guys out today working-all with looks of "what the hell is this crap?"
    Also saw some customers, all of whom were quite happy I was there.

I have to say that in general I've never seen this many leaves on most of the lawns in town this close to Christmas-very late leaf fall- mostly those God forsaken oaks.:dizzy: No more leaves allowed in the street either so all this wet leaf/snow mix gets hauled to the dump. I can not wait to be done.

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

8 of us got 9 done today w/ 3 gutter cleanings. all but 1 left curbside for township p/u. none were full clean-ups - primarily concentrated on clearing leaves & debris from turf & beds... didn't give them any final mow/edge/trim & didn't cut back all/many perennials. We still have about 115 to do. Most of our larger props are done, so by next week, 8 guys can probably do about 20 places per day. We will probably work Monday morning, Thurs, Fri & maybe Sat next week.

We've lost more days this month to rain/snow & wind than we've been able to work - thats for sure.

9. VisionsLandscaping

VisionsLandscaping LawnSite Member

I was on my very last fall cleanup, i already completed the gutters,had about 30 minutes left of loading up the debris and it started POURING THE RAIN. nothing i could do. now theres snow on the leaves and ice on them for the last 4-5 days, but i plan on going back and finishing up so iu can get paid!

10. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

I thought i was done a few days ago but i had some customers call & want clean-ups so i am going to make a few calls tomorrow to see if i can fill a full day on friday I don't want to go out for only 4 houses. Good thing i did n't clean my equiptment yet.