1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there a specific tool for soil samples?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 3, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I just took a soil sample. Basically I used a bulb digger(?) to get the soil out. It went in a good 6" which if I remember right was the right depth, took multiple samples, mixed all the dirt together and then poured it in a tupperware container to take to the local extension office.

Is there a better/easier way to do this? I don't think customers would like big holes all over their yard, this was in a bed so they probably never noticed.
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

don't be afraid, put that shovel to the earth get a goood Smell of the hole and see whats going on in the ground, get a good large magnifying glass!!!
  4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

TG and some others I know carry a bushel or 2 of compost with them every day in the back of the truck or trailer, you never know what you are going to run into out there

DGL, in your case you take a couple handfulls and fill the holes up, they will never been noticed

The typical tool is about as big around as your thumb so it doesn't leave much of a hole
  5. Here is one that has several. http://www.gemplers.com/category.aspx?cat=soil-probes&s_kwcid=soil%20probe|976503025
  6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

lesco sells a core sampler
  7. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I thought I saw one the last time I was in there but was in a hurry so I couldn't get a closer look. I will stop by again next week.