Is there a way to mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outrunjason, Feb 10, 2002.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Ok I just mow and make it look nice. But I also use my own technique. I first mow an outline around twice and then back and forth. Anyone else do something like this. Also when edging with weedeater do you go backwards, forwards or just what you are comfortable with? Do you blow what is in the street (grass,leaves,trash) back into the lawn or just blow it further in the street like I see a lot of ppl doing.

Thanks Jason

2. Well what are you mowing with?

List all equipment to do that job.

It veries per equipment type.

Single line weed eater is different technique than a 2 line trimmer.(just an exaple)

3. outrunjason

from dallas

Ok. Godfather I didn't know there was a different technique to be used for the weedeaters. I have a 2 line sthl trimmer. I have always gone backwards. When I go forward I can't get it even. At least not yet anyway. Mowing would be with a rotary Toro Pro-line commercial mower. What is the technigue?

Jason

4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I alternate every 2 weeks or so. I have a shortcut 1500, on some yards it can leave tracks when mowing the same direction week after week. So I change up so there are not rutts. As fars as weed wacking I just go one direction full steam ahead. I have never used a back and forth technique.

5. On mowing round and round will do just fine. But for looks and a few other reasons striping the lawn in 2 different direction, and cutting it in like you discribed earlier will help on apperance.

A 2 line strait shaft trimmer spins in the opposite direction as the engine turns.

Edging and trimming with a 2 line weed eater while walking backwards is the best way for beginners. Once you can aquire a steady hand, you can go forwards, jast as accuate and faster.

I do edge beds walking backwards as they don't get done as much as the concrete edging.

While walking backwards the weed eater is less likely to be pulled into the edge your trimming.

Blowing has a technique also, don't keep the tube steady keep it mowing like you are sweeping and lifting the grass to where you are blowing it.

6. outrunjason

from dallas

I alternate the pattern about every three weeks for mowing. With edgeing I find that it cuts better backwards. You are right it cuts in when you are going forward. As for blowing I do blow with a circular motion and it works well. One problem though. Some of my lawns don't even look edged after I get done blowing. All the grass that I tried to blow into the lawn from the sidewalk ends up in the crack of the nice edge I had. I have to go over it again and get the grass out. I hate that waste of time.

Jason

7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

ahhhhh young grass hoppa..red max eb 7000 will cure that problem:D

8. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Jason,
    The trimming while walking forward can be difficult at first. The type of grass you are trimming has a lot to do with it. I consider myself pretty good with the trimmer, but occaisionally I let it dig in to deep while trimming bermuda or zoysia. Trimming fescue is much easier because the grass doesn't seem to be as "dense" as warm season grasses. Practice on your own lawn until you feel comfortable and you will never go back to walking backwards/sideways. Trimming short distances backwards for residential isn't a big deal, but when you start trimming large commercial sites I think it's much quicker and easier to walk forward. As far as the mowing technique: Try doing the back and forth first and make your two perimeter passes last. I think you will find (depending on width of mower deck) that you will only need to make one perimeter pass which also equals less time. Also as others have mentioned, try to change directions with each cut. I try to use 4 directions and change them weekly or bi-weekly.

Good luck

9. outrunjason

from dallas

Not much fescue here. More St. Augustine and Bermuda. I am going to move forward this year. I did it some times for more than a week but didn't like.

Thanks for the info.

Jason

10. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Trimming direction also depends on which way your trimmer head spins,different brands spin different directions,trimming forwards is the best way to go,trimming walking backwards is fine if you want to find where you parked your mower,Yes it did hurt.......