Is there a way to mulch and bag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEUSWEDE, May 14, 2005.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have an Exmark TTHP 48" and was curious can I run mulch blades even if I side discharge or bag to reduce the amount I bag and to not spit out as much when discharging? Does that make sense? Should I double up blades or go with these gator blades I see people rave about on here?
    thanks

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I use gator blades when bagging with the accelerator and it works much better than the lifts or any other blade Ive used. On one yard went from 5 emptyings to 2 going from high lifts to gators.

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I use gators for side discharging and the debris is real fine chopped and the deck stays very clean. Its an older bobcat (96) so the deck design isn't top of the line but I only have to clean the deck out every 2 or 3 weeks. I'm normally picky about that but this year i just don't need to, theres alittle bit of grass that gets around the spindle but its maybe 1/4" thick only, not like it used to be with high lift blades, the deck would get packed about 2" thick in 3-5 days.

I say go gators

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Double gators and baggers are awesome. Grassgobblers pack about twice as much grass if they have been cut with double gators.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My experience is that standard Gators don't have enough discharge force to bag into my GrassGobbler. I'm using a 36" Exmark, fixed deck. Hi-lift Gators, however, will bag just as well as the standrd-lift notched airfoil blades. The difference between standard and hi-lift Gator blades is barely noticable when sitting side by side, but the inside tooth has a sharper angle for lift. The small change is enough to bag/no bag.