Is there a website or book with pictures and suggestions for trees and plants

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clydesdale, May 29, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

Like what kind of tree will do well where and general ideas? I have done primarily only lawn maint, but i would like to get into some plantings. Where should i start?
  2. Lnd Svyr

Lnd Svyr LawnSite Member

I recommend you start your reference library now. Do a search on Your local library should also have some books but they may be outdated. Lowes and Home Depot have good basic books on landscape design, too. Google may elicit some websites but the info will probably be limited. You could try DIY and HGTV online.

However, you'll find yourself referring to the books over and over so try to go that route.

Good luck!
  3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

screw DIY or HGTV...those are crap and they usually show plants and such for the southern states....

i (my wife that is) went to Shemin Nurseries....(they are in NY too), and spent about 2 hrs doing nothing but taking pictures of plants....they have hundreds of plants in for climate. They are our supplier for landscape supplies and she took over 150 pictures. wrote down their names and now she just inserts them in the estimate or prints them out at Kinko's and the clients can see them.
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Sunset Eastern Garden Book is a great ref book for plants and tree's in your zone.I use the western one,but I'm sure the Eastern is good as well.
    Try and go into non-fiction-Landscaping.You can get books used there that are in great or almost new shape for a fraction of regular price.I like
    Taylor's "50 Best Tree's for your Garden"
    and Sunset's "The Eastern Landscaping Book"
    "The Tree Doctor"by Prendergast,Daniel/Erin
    And the expensive but well worth it..
    "A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants" "Millennium Classic" By The American Horticultural Society it has more than 15,000 plants and 6000 photo's in it and over 1000 pages.
    It's not one you can use in the field and it's heavy and it's big,but as far as plants and tree's and shrubs go ..there is no better ref book IMO.
  6. dave78981

dave78981 LawnSite Member

I'm constantly looking for inspiration at Barnes and Noble and Borders. Having once worked for both those companies, I'll tell you that the bargain book section is an excellent place to build your library. Most books in that section are in the $6.98-$24.98 range.

One book that's been a great help to me is The American Horticulture Society Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers. Also good is a book called Botanica.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think we mean the same book dave ,I just put it down differently does yours have 1000pgs?Written by same society.