is there a?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikey, Apr 7, 2002.

1. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

is there a weed killer or any type of fertilizer u can apply withouy liscences?

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: if your applying pesticides for hire here in jersey you need a license. most of the stuff you can buy, there are only a few resticted in which you need a license, get a license it's good for the industry.

3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Mikey,
    Any straight fert is legal. Any pesticide, including those that are on fert, (even the garden center 4 & 5 steps) reqire a licence to apply for hire.

Steve

4. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

apply the scotts 4 app. program without a liscence the bags they sell at home depot?

5. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

not unless its straight fert with nothing else in it

6. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

like what?im not familiar with fertilizers?

7. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

If you are not familiar with fertilizers, you probably should not apply them!

Educate yourself, learn what you are doing and get licensed or sub out all of that type of work to someone who is.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Guy here in Fla got busted killing ants with boiling water. He had some kind of steamer and was not charging for it on his mow customer. Unlicensed pest control operation. By the way this has been a test Question for years. Best answer is boiling water, mother nature. Sorry I don't make the law, just try to live by it.

9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Mikey,
    Ric's right. Technically, if you get paid to step on ants with out a commercial liscence, you're breaking the law if someone can prove you're getting paid. Some bagged & many liquid formulations of pesticides are restricted to purchase only be certified commercial applicators. But it doesn't matter weather you get a hold of RUP's (restricted use pesticides) or not. Even the materials at Home Depot, even though anyone can buy them, REQUIRE A LISCENCE TO APPLY THEM TO SOMEONE ELSES PROPERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR MONEY.
    Straight fertlizers are regulated in some places (commercially) & the bags will clearly state weather they contain a pesticide or not. Look for a list of "active ingredients" and an "epa registration number". Also, a good commercial preparation will contain the trade name of the pesticide somewhere on the bag.

If you need someone to explain the difference between fertilizer & pesticide containing combination products, start at a reputable commercial/wholesale turf & ornamental supply house. They should know where to turn for the training you need. The county Ag Coop Stations are a good resource too. Adult education courses can also be had at colleges & universities that may also be acredited towards a commercial pesticide applicators liscence in your state.

Please take a minute to examine the following link that will better explain who needs to be liscenced.

http://www.state.ma.us/dfa/pesticides/licensing/bulletin/2001_02_ataglance.pdf

This link will help you find the resources you'll need if you want to persue this endeavor.

http://www.state.ma.us/dfa/pesticides/licensing/bulletin/examschedule_2001.htm

We have some really good people in the Boston area that can help you too. Send me an email with some idea of where in BeanTown you are. We have 3 or 4 stores around you. They would know where & when the courses & tests are being held next. I'll set you up with the closest one if you'd like.

Steve

sls247@lesco.com

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Steve

Each State has different Laws. In Florida not getting paid for applying pesticide is still against the LAW. As stated above the man got busted for killing ants with boiling water and he was not charging for it. This happen in my town, I saw the newspaper add saying free chemical free ant control to mowing customers. Here in Fla. a landlord can not apply pesticides to his own property because he does not live on that property. He must have a licensed company apply the chemicals.

Only loop hole I know of in Fla. is. A home owner may supply chemicals and equipment and have a hired employee apply them to his single family home. The label is still the law and he is liable for misuse and employee liability. BTW the employee can not purchases or deliver the chemical to the property. I guess I just told any non-licensed people how to get around the law on there cheap customers. Remember If you area commercial cutter and have chemicals on your truck or trailer; That is enough to get you busted and a $5,000.00 fine. If you have a limited License and have chemicals not labeled for your license you can lose that license as well as a fine. The state will fine licensed people quicker than non-licensed.