1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there an advantage with the John Deere one unit hydro pump?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnwon, Mar 17, 2007.

1. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

I've been wondering what is the advantage in the single or unitized hydro pump JD uses on their ZTR. I'm not sure if all of the JD ZTR are built this way but I do know the 737 & 757 are like that. I was told by a JD salesman that it provided a more even tracking over the two pump system...?? Just wondering what any of you may know about their reason for this. A freind of mine has a very old Great Dane 61" 25HP ZTR that has one pump...could this be the same thing JD is doing now? Thanks for any responce on this subject.
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Saves them money in the manufacturing process?:confused:
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 717A with a single unit. I have only used it about 250 hours, so it has not seen much use. However, I do not every recall reading a thread about a failure on these units. Actually, the number of times I have read threads about ANY hydro pump or motor failure is very, very small.

Somebody posted a thread a couple of days ago with news that another manufacturer (Exmark, Toro?) will have a single hydro unit by 2009. I think I have the date right.

Of all the equipment troubles discussed on LS, hydro pump/wheel motor problems for w/b and ZTRs seem to be very small.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What I wonder is.....what happens when you have a failure? If those units are not repairable they probably cost a fortune!
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

They are actually two pumps but they are just enclosed in one housing. I own 3 757s with the the two separate pump setups and never had a bit of trouble with them. My stander uses the dual pump system and it has 300 hrs on it with no troubles to date with the pump. I was told that they dual Kanzaki pump is totally rebuildable. I've used but kinds of pumps in the JD stander and the duall seemed to have quicker response.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ding Ding Ding.... we have a winner.

It's a unitized 2 pump system in one housing.
    I'm sure it is repairable... but it's going to need to go to Deere and it's going to COST!

This is just the way with Deere.
    They want to be as proprietary as possible with the componets on their equipment.
    This keeps you coming back to them for parts and service.
  7. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Deere's hydro pumps are no different than anybody elses. And yes you can rebuild them, and NO you dont have to take it back to Deere to do so! And thats if you do encounter any trouble. Ask around if any bodys haveing trouble with there hydro systems. We run ours hard day in and day out , hard in the way of exteme steep hill's that are VERY long and very wide. The hydro system stays nice and COOL all day long.
  8. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I forgot to also mention that ANY hydro system if repaired, will be costly. Thats the nature of hydro's no matter what kind or brand. A hydro system is what runs up the prices on all these commercial mowers that everbody is running.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

The Kanzaki pumps are not Deere proprietary, e-mail them and they can tell you who will sell you the same pump and parts that Deere uses on their ztrs. But why would you, its much easier to go to your Deere dealer. Tuff Torq makes the Kanzaki dual unitized pump and its used in more applications than Deere ztrs. This website shows the pump that Deere uses. http://www.tufftorq.com/prods2.asp?PID=22 Eventually most ztrs will use these style of pumps.

J Thmas will sell you pumps for the JD ztrs that have the single pumps and they may even have the untized pumps by now.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You can be ticked off if you want to be... Doesn't really matter to me.

The point I'm getting at... and the one you seem to refuse existance of it this...

Call it what you want, but Deere works off proprietary schemes with components.

No, they may not be flat out proprietary parts... but they may as well be. The reason is that Deere is notorious for being special, different, and non-standard.

I think they are freakin brilliant for that... brilliant.

Since they don't used industry standard items, the knock-off shops can't effectively set up and build knock-off parts for their equippment... and since such parts are non-standard, it keeps parts warehouses out of the game too because they are too low volume and too many versions to keep up with.

You are not likely to click a link here at lawnsite and go buy a kanzaki pump at a price comparable to industry standard Hydro Gear pumps.

This is good for Deere, because like you said... "why would you?"....
    And that is the whole point.

It's much easier to tuck your tail between your legs and trot on over to the Deere dealer.
    This way you don't have to hunt the part or worry about rather or not it's the right version.

Brilliance for Deere... bad for your wallet.

And I'm not sure I have an opinion that leads me in either direction at this point.
    Meaning I'm not really sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing in the end.

All I'm saying is it limits your outlets/resources for parts and service... and costs you more money.