1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there an electric start gas powered weedwacker?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dallison, Jun 6, 2008.

1. dallison

dallison LawnSite Member
    from york pa

Our purchasing agent is looking for one, price really isn't an issue.

2. greenscapestx

greenscapestx LawnSite Member

Yes, Home Depot has a Ryobi that uses their 18 volt battery for it's electric start. They call it Touch Start. Here's a link to the Ryobi site: http://www.ryobitools.com/featured/
  3. dallison

dallison LawnSite Member
    from york pa

we saw them, and i think that she's gonna check them out. thanks
  4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Please, don't buy one for commercial use. They just aren't "it". (not conmmercial grade)

"Back in the day" (1997 or thereabouts), Tanaka had 2 units that were battery start with a rope backup.

$500 for the homeowner version and $800 for the commercial version. None of those models are in the lineup now. If I remember correctly, they had an issue with the battery life/price of battery.
  5. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

not to hijack the thread... i would pass on the trimmer with electric start due to the added weight, but how great would that be to have on a backpack blower!!!
  6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont get it? You said you wanted an electric start gas powered trimmer, not a battery powered unit right?
  7. dallison

dallison LawnSite Member
    from york pa

that is correct, and we are still looking. battery powered sucks
  8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

What's the big deal about pulling a rope?

I'm not trying to be a wisea$$, I'm just curious.
  9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

If the Mrs. is going to be using it some it might be a very big deal indeed.
  10. dallison

dallison LawnSite Member
    from york pa

i have a craftsman 4 cycle that i got a few years back that works well. Our purchasing agent is about 45-50 years old and pulling the rope is a little hard for her. She is willing to spend the $$ for one.