Is there any difference between...castrol,quakerstate,penzoil...ect??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SouthernYankee, Oct 4, 2005.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I need to get some good 10w30 for my mower and I was wondering if there is any difference between the big oils?

penzoil, quakerstate, castrol..ect.

I am not looking for synthetic...just regular oil. thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I got somewhat bashed the last time I posted about oil, I have been some type Service Tech. all my life and seen different engines ran on different brands oil.
    My preference is Castrol.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

In my opinion, oil is basically oil. If you dont change it, none of it is any good. Some brands my be a little better , but all brands have to be changed to get good service from it

4. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

I'm sure there are differences in the various brands of oils as each oil company uses its own additivies. However, all major brands meet or exceed the latest tests of ASE (Automobile Society of Engineers) which is stamped on the oil container. So, I don't think you can go wrong with any brand meeting/exceeding these tests as long as you do regular oil changes. As for synthetic, IMO it is the best oil available today. I use Mobil 1 in everything, including cars and lawn equipment.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I think the main difference in oils is the additive package and cleaners within them.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Years ago, probably 20 now... My step dad was doing work at a place where they were asking the same question. They brought in indepent testers and somehow tested a number of name brand motor oils. The one oil that stood out on top. Trop-Artic. Just happens to be just about the most inexpensive oil brand out there! I don't remember which, but he said it was either Quaker State or Castrol that was WORST. And the consensus was to AVOID Pennzoil, not that it dind't work well but that it broke down faster than the others. Meaning that the longer it sat, used or not, the less effective it was.

A lot of things have changed in those years I'm sure... Honestly I'm not too picky about my oil brands. I will buy Trop-artic many times simply because I know it's good and cheap! The only oils I avoid are the ones branded by the grocery stores or off brands Iv'e never seen before. I'm sure they are made by another bigger company, but I'd bet it's not of the same grade as the name brand stuff.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

castrol = best oil, quaker state = worse. 10w-30 is too light for a lawnmower. use sae 30 instead

9. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, most mower engine manuals even warn about extra oil consumption with 10W30. Straight 30W or a heavier multigrade like 15W40 works better in mower engines.

As far as brands go, as long as you are using a premium brand and more importantly, changing it often, you will be in good shape.

Good luck,
    Doc

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Just a Reminder, Kohler States 10w30 oil in Command Engines.