1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there any reason not to buy this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Landscaping, Oct 24, 2005.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm about to drop $2100 on one of these.......

Better Super Duty

I realize some may be not cool with with the B&S...... I'm not too worried

The single pump hydro has me concerned about maneuverability...... nobody has had bad things to say though.

So....... Is there another machine that would be a better place to spend $2100?

Around here, used equipment is a seller's market.... so buying used is not a good option for me.
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the only reason I could see, is that you don't need it. I assure you, you won't have any problem operating a single hydro. I was worried too when I bought mine, but the mower is so light, it just whips around on a turn, or you can use the reverse for the turn. I am sure I have a video of me doing a turn with it on here. do a search under my name, and see if you can find the video.
  3. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

What about tight slopes you can't put a ZTR on. I have a Hydrocut with a single pump and its a bear to keep it straight on slopes.
  4. wowlawncare

wowlawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

Saw these at the expo. Dident look like bad mowers. Semed more like a homeowners. Havent ever seen them cut though. Not a bad price at all. The guy at the expo was telling me that the fella that is makeing them now use to work for gravely. Not a big fan of gravelys, They dont hold up like others ive used. See if they can set you up with a demo.
  5. General Landscaping

Is that a characteristic of the your machine or a characteristic of the single hydro?

Ditch performance is a big factor in how this machine will work out for me.
    I've got a 38"ZTR that would rather Kamikaze downhill than anything else.
  6. TClawn

the quick 36 is so light, you hardly feel it on slopes. that is the secret to the whole machine, it is extremely light. the engine is mounted sleightly forward, so the front doesn't pop up over the top of hills. if you can walk it, the quick will cut it. I'll take a pic of the slope I cut with it. the only thing you have to worry about in the ditches, is that the discharge chute will dig in to the ground and catch if you have it down.

btw, general landscaping, where are you? are in the treasure coast after the hurricane, or did you 'vacuate?
  7. General Landscaping

We stuck it out..... put up the hurricane decorations and had a good 'ol time.
    The word is, we (Indian River county) will be out of power for a while, It seems that West Palm is more important:angry:
  8. TClawn

so how are you posting this without power?

btw, if you do decide to get the quick 36, and want to put a proslide on it, pm me, and I will give you more detailed intructions on how to strengthen the frame. it is not hard, you just have to put a bit of metal around the back side, and a bit of the side of the frame. it would probably be ok with out it, but I don't want to take any chances. took me about 1.5 hours to install everything, but I made a bunch of mistakes, so you cand probably do everything in 45 minutes.
  9. jimmdenver

jimmdenver LawnSite Member

I hope that there is a dealer/servicer of that brand near you... I've never heard of Better and that might be a reason to go with something like Scag or Exmark.. You can't be more than 10 miles from a scag or exmark dealer! What if you need a part or some service you can't perform yourself? Alot of dealers will only service the brands they sell, something I've always thought of as costing them alot of business, but they're probably contrctually obligated to service only the brands they sell by the manufacturer.

By the way, I'm new. The name's Jim Denver. I beleive in Powerful equipment, America, and beer. In that order. Customer service is fourth.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I like everything about it except the transmission.

HOW DO YOU STEER IT? Isn't is just a transaxle (differential)? Do you just push it side to side to steer? Thats rediculous.

Put a NORMAL hydro drive on it (or at least steering brakes) and allow the operator to control it.

Deck looks good.

I like the size.

Engine looks fine.

Rear tires are a little large

Overall a nice machine, but would like to be able to maneuver it better as this IS a detail area machine.

SCAG or EXMARK needs to make something like this (3 balde) and make it COMPACT.

Last year I was really wanting Exmark to build me a 44" Viking Hydro with 17hp. Nice and compact with pleanty of power.