1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there any tricks to running a split Aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Lefty's Lawns, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Lefty's Lawns

Lefty's Lawns LawnSite Member

I'm upgrading to a Clausen split Aerator and wanted to know if there are any tricks or tips to using the machine. For example, when turning, how to keep from ripping up some of the sod. Granted, I'll work with the dealer when I pick it up Thursday and get some instructions but wanted to get some expertise from the community also. If you have one or ran one before, how do they compare to regular aerators? :usflag:
  2. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Watch doing hilly sites.I was going uphill and accidently picked the back up and a rock slung and busted me in the knee.Still have a bruise from it and that was 4 days ago.It took us an hour and a half to do 4,000 sq feet but it felt like 5 after we was finished(thanks to the hill)
  3. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

the split drive are great but watch your turns if the grass is wet. Great machines I have two, good luck
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the lesco split drive aerator(same one only green) and have found that the easiest way to do the aeration is to act like you have a homeowner riding mower, with the steering wheel. You do it in total circles-squares from the outside to the inside. This is an easy way to do it quickly.
    I have found that if you try to turn at the end of each pass, like a zero turn, it will rip up the sod good.
  5. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, what he said. Go around in circles, starting on the outside edge. Try to do gradual turns, not 90 degree turns. Fill in sections as they get smaller. Sometimes it's not a bad idea to go back and forth (in rows) on larger properties. If you need to make a sharp turn, turn in reverse, meaning pull the machine back towards you while aiming in the direction you need to go. This works well. I hope you have some upper body strength.
  6. Lefty's Lawns

Lefty's Lawns LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips. I picked ur up today. Man!!! That is one heavy machine. Got some good size jobs lined up for this weekend so I'll use the tips y'all provided. Hopefully it goes OK.
  7. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I rented a Classen split drive the other day. Loved it. Made plugging so much easier and quicker. That's the one I probaly get when I buy one.