Is there anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SoloMow, Jun 3, 2005.

1. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

I have attached a photo of a south-facing bed in MY backyard. Last year I planted both Colorado Creeper and Asian Jasmine in hopes of getting a relatively maintenance free zone of dense vines. Last year I controlled the area of weeds and unwanted grasses by hand. ;) This year, however, is another story. As can be seen, this area is being overtaken by grasses. Is there any selective herbicide that will kill the grasses and leave the main vines to flourish?

backyard.jpg

2. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Try Fusillade.
    Works well but it's not cheap.

3. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Solo my husband says that you can use Fusilade II but don't mix it with anything and don't get it on any grass that you don't want to kill. I am not sure if you need a license or if you might be able to get this product as a homeowner as so many areas are different, and I am still learning alot of the Laws & Regs. myself.....I have to go finish the supper dishes so I will leave that research to you :D

Hope everyone's weekend goes well :waving:

4. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

Thanks! I will do a search and see what I can find on this product. :waving:

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Fusilade or Poast are selective grass herbicides. If there is a time period when the grass is growing and the vines are dormant you could use Roundup.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Will Fusilade even take care of KY Bluegrass or Fescue that have run into the beds as well?? Or just crabgrass / quackgrass and those sort of weeds??

7. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

We don't have much KY Bluegrass here down South so you will have to rely on the label for that one *or on the true experts to chime in:D*

8. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

I found a Fusilade clone today at Lowe's ($20/pint as opposed to $75/quart at Lesco) and applied it to the bed pictured above. Now I'll just wait a week and hope the kill begins. Thanks for all the information. :cool:

9. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Keep in mind that fusilade is very slow acting. It will probably take at least a week before you see it start to kill. Wait at least 2 to 3 weeks before reapplying to minimize risk of damaging your desirable ground cover.

Next year you will probably be best to apply a preemergent to prevent a new influx of grassy weeds. You have enough seeds in your picture to do this all over again next year unless you treat at least 3 to 4 weeks before expected germination.