Is there anything new in organics?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by david2936, Mar 14, 2008.

1. david2936

david2936 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about taking my six+ acres organic and just wanted to know if there is anything NEW out there and if I am going to do this what method I should use. I grow PeeGee Hydrangea. I just do not want to waste my time learning about everything under the sun. Don't get me wrong, I am willing to work hard, but I also want to work smart. Someone point me in the right direction please.

David

2. mbucuk

mbucuk LawnSite Member

?

what do you want to know?

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Growing hydrangeas are like growing weeds as far a fertilizer requirements. I would have them in a partial shade environment and mulch the grass and leaves into the soil around them. Mowed and fertilized at the same time.
    Water is what they need adequate supplies of. Heavy soils loaded with OM is your best management decision with those things. I don't think I would add alot of organic anything to 5+ acres of soil without a manure spreader.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

spend $400 on worms and let em go. and find a horse or rabbit farm. find a load of wire/ fence and make compost rings. mmm... get a tea brewer or some pre made jar tea.

test your water and soil to see what is going on. then you only add what is needed in the first place. smart test =less work.

5. david2936

These are all good replies, but what I want is something a little more concrete and straight forward. I have been surfing the web and found a site called http://www.envirocare-tea.com and they sell a product called "Terra Foods". It seems to be an inoculant with microbes and a tea mix. Does anyone know anything about this stuff? I would just like to get a little feedback from others before I buy some. It sounds just like what I was looking for, but I do not want to be hasty.

Thanks for all the help!

David

6. treegal1

that's tea in a jar, talk to ICT bill and look at his stuff.

if you own the land you are farming and plan long term you should first build up the organic material and then add the tea,micro herd. worms will maintain the soil biology with1000's of micro herd. spraying every 30/60 days is a lot of work.get the micro herd food in the ground and then they will reproduce and expand there territory.

if this was me doing this i would start of with a N cover crop clover,alfalfa,or a legume. then get 200 tons of manure spread(drive around or get the phone book). the alternative is to get a spreader and do it yourself as needed.then find a local waste stream< peanut hulls, rice chaff, wood chips,and if you are brave and smart/ dumb look into sewer sludge? this is a Grey scary topic and is not a joking mater, so i under stand if you let it go.the thing of it is that the micro herd will eat up tons of organics not just a gallon at a time. for $500 with a farm type setting brewing your own tea is a given and not that hard. a small 50/100 gallon prov en winner top shelf brewer is worth the investment, then you can spray tea till the cows come home.if you need an N boost find a chicken farm they will pay to get rid of it some times, $ income is good. make a slurry and spray or spread.don't leave bare rows or isles cover with mulch and cover crops. use some bio-char or charcoal, it will help hold it all together, and if you have a short fall of micro herd chow ad some soy meal, alfalfa pellets, molasses,green manure,compost,sweet feed,tailing's from a silo.

after a while it will be a healthy soil and need little to any care,you just let it coast for years 10s of years or even 100s of years if you set up the soil correctly

but tea in a jar is a good start,even just some Mycorrhizae will get the ball rolling.

7. treegal1

this is the string that broke the gals back, I am going to write the black earth thread tonight

wish me luck

8. david2936

Not exactly sure what this means, but if I caused some grief, I'm sorry.

9. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Follow the masters and spend your time surfing past threads. It seems like you want to look at a quick fix and spending your time wisely. You say you are not scared of work, well do some work and study past threads. Or just spend a fortune and spray as much terra stuff as possible and tell us your results. I doubt many have heard of this stuff as it is probably new to market but based on their materials I'm sure it has value but is really (trust me) pricey.
    Treegal gets her seaweed for free and is actually paid to do it - she probably has more application experience in the field than pretty much most of the posters here. Kiril can tell you why anything works and give you sound knowledge and web links, Tim Wilson can give you why anything works and has the research and tools to prove it, ICT is the mad scientist and communicator and visionary of the bunch and tadhussey knows compost tea and Elaine Ingram is our organic standard (where the bar is set). Many others like mudstopper, dustyceder, Barry Draycott and others are a wealth of application knowledge in the field. These folks are our mentors read and learn but you have to study prior posts and you get out of it what you put in. There are NO quick fixes to organics - too many choices and options. I say buy about a $1000 worth of that stuff you talked about an let us all know how great it works. Keep in mind $1000 would cover about half of what you have and you need to buy this stuff every 8 weeks (according to their site). So basically you spend about $635 per application @ 6 apps a year or $3810. My gift is running numbers! treegals solution may cost more in year one but will cost you nothing in year two, three, four.....
    One last thing if you are looking of simple - that works (I use it) check out www.ictorganics.com and they have a ton of new products coming soon....

10. david2936

I think this is a little to hard core for me.

I get the idea of a covercrop and the worms, getting the microbes to multiply and keeping them fed. This will ultimately produce a soil that should last for a very long time, as long as I keep the microbes and worms happy.

Thank you!