1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is There $$$ in mowing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JB1LNDSCPR, Feb 14, 2004.

JB1LNDSCPR LawnSite Member

Is there any money in lawn mowing and what is the best way to get business???? i am struggling. i am really good at hardscapes but people are too cheap.
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

HAHAHA... there is a lot of money in mowing if you arent a low baller and go in and price a yard at well below what it's worth. Seeing that you have the right equipment already (from your profile) it looks to me like you just need to advertise, flyers, doorhangers, etc...
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say so...73% of my company's business is strictly mowing.

JB1LNDSCPR LawnSite Member

i do have the equipment for mowing and i do have lawns but not enough to even say so.
  5. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I never mowed a lawn for a customer. I always found installation work to be MUCH more profitable than cutting lawns. However, installation work is more hit-or-miss, while lawns are more consistent. If you can stay busy on installations, you will make more money than cutting lawns.
    If you find customer are 'too cheap,' then you need to find new customers.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Lot of money mowing and prices aren’t the key to making it. Its volume and you achieve that though a tight list meaning low to no drive time if your making 35 a cut and it takes 10 mins to drive there and 10 to get to your next the guy making 20-25 a cut with 3-10 lawns on a street is gona blow you away on profit. And how do you get thick lists advertise that is key and you may need to spend 2-5 k perhaps more to build up the list to its profitable. If you make under 1 k a week mowing you wont be to happy with it. 2 k and it still kind of poor but you get that to 3-5 or more thousand a week then you may decide its better then installs since you can build lawn crews easier then install crews since it doesn’t require such a skilled supervisor. You want some one who is efficient but that can be some one with only 2-3 years on lawns it takes a lot longer to trust some one on your planting jobs then 2-3 years if your not going to be on site.
  7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

for mowing we do mostly small to med commercial...yes theres money in it...but we charge the right price

last year our revenues were split 50 50 between landscape work and mowing.

My ideal will be to get to 60% mowing, 40% landscape.

I dont want to get too heavy in either one becauase:

1. risk of prolonged drought relative to mowing (yes we use contracts but in severe drought you cant mow crunchy turf)

2. landscape installs are unpredictable...seems like we have too many all at once and then we wait for the next ones.

For me, the mix works well
  8. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Yes, tight routes and right equipment is key.
  9. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I see so many posts covering this basic topic,especially ones from people who want to know if they can make money doing this kind of work and how much.I see lots and lots of generalizations like "you can't make money on residentials","lowballers are killing us" and "people are cheap".Well,I'm just starting out in this business and ,while I do have some concerns about my ability to make it,I'm convinced that if I work hard,manage my business well and deliver quality service to my customers I will succeed,even if I JUST do basic maintenance.Sure,there are some cheapskates out there but I believe there are plenty of others who want quality landscaping service and are willing to pay a little extra for it.
  10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Allstar you have exactly the right attitude to be successful. We only have 3 years under our belt and in 2004 we'll be turning down work becuase we cant handle it (and dont want to get too big..for reasons I wont get into here). And we are nowhere near the low end of the price ranges.

We sell value...not price