Is there money in the pressure washing bussinesss

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bmurrell, Aug 20, 2005.

1. bmurrell

bmurrell LawnSite Member

I have tryed it for 2 years on the side and i feel like i am wasting my time ?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to say there isn't any money, certainly I would read along as ppl who are into this may give you some helpful hints, perhaps you can give us a basic low-down on what you're doing? It is also possible this is just not something for you, I find there are things like that for me as well that no matter what I try, it just doesn't work. I mean, perhaps give us the low-down and if you get some good suggestions then try and try again but if it still doesn't work then maybe give it up, heh.

At the same rate, if you're NOT doing it full-time then 2 years could mean the equivalent of 1 month at full time OR it could mean a LOT more, it doesn't explain too much... As another example of weird behavior in a part-time business is my Web site didn't make ANY money for the first 3-4 years but finally as of October last year it's at least been paying for the server and now I am happy because it's just a hobby... So on a part-time deal a lot of times it really takes a lot longer.
  3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

your not charging enough

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

If your doing small stuff that homeowners can do themselves with a Sears model your in trouble. Try handing out pamphlets and posting ads on supermarket pin up boards. Cheap advertising.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Like any Business it is your market approach to the demographics of your market area. I had a market where wood frame homes were getting covered with Mildew. Chemical treatment of the mildew made it come right off. I advertised "wash any house for $ 50" and did 7 to 9 a day. I had a great run in the early 1980's until someone low balled me, and a price war ensued. I got a promotion in my full time job and dropped out of the race.

Tile Roofs are a biggie here and have a lot of competition. They get $ 250 and up for them. but you couldn't catch me standing on a 9 on 12 pitch chemical wet tile roof.

I believe there is a Forum just for pressure washing. Maybe some one can give you a link. I see some nice rigs running around doing Pressure Washing.
  6. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

There are guys around here (my area) that all they do is pressure washing. I spoke with one solo op pressure washer lately and he said he tries to earn at least 60/hr doing it. He has commercial grade equipment and knows what he was doing.
    I just finished up pressuring washing my roof today cause we are going to roof over. Have to say that is some boring ass work. I would need a lot of money to do that every day all day or have a big enough operation so I wouldn't have to do it myself.