Is there no minimum time period?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

When I had my first job the company went out of business and we all got laid off I was 16 I was told then by my fellow workers in order to collect unemployment you needed to have worked for more then 6 months full time. I have never collected as I really have a low opinion of those that do but before you get all mad at that understand I have been abused by that system enough to make me really hate it and them. I want to know how do people who work for you for less then a month have the balls to then waste my time trying to collect when they quit? I am amazed at this system I have seen no intelligent life on the labor board what so ever I now get to deal with my 4th case since I have been in business this one I let go this week already got the papers this is the first time I let one go normally they quit the person has a whole 110 hours with me over 5 weeks how can they even apply with that? It really puts constraints on hiring anyone if I need to be worried that a part timer who totally sucked can now tie up my time with a request for a 6-month vacation when then worked less then 3 full time weeks.

Does anyone know what the rules on this are? is there a dollar amount or a time amount or is it simply lie to the board and they will give you a check off the backs of real working men
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think its a state by state issue, so I would contact someone at the state level. I was under the impression you cant get it if you quit, other than rare certian cases.
  3. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

In Kansas they have a 3 strike rule. If the employer documents and consults with the employee about two cases of the employee screwing up, they can terminate them on the third mistake without worry of them taking unemployment.
  4. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

I have an on going situation with a past employee right now. He worked for me for about a day and a half then did not show up. He keeps re-filing for unemployment and I keep fighting it and winning. It is tough, but we as bitness peeps need to try and watch out for those kind of people as best we can. Those people are out there. Too lazy to work and want a hand out. I, too get disgusted by people that milk the system for unemployment or whatever it may be. I know of a lot of those types. They exist everywhere and are usually liberals.
  5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Good records are the best ammo when you go to court over an employee. As long as you keep complete records of every detail with time, dates, and anyone who would be a witness to what they did wrong (other employees); your unemployment case will be pretty much a done deal. It truly helps to take the employee into the office and set them down for a talk, followed by a written statement of what was discussed including corrective action for them to sign. It can be a hassle, but it will save you time in court.
  6. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

In NY you have to work 20 weeks before filing a claim.
  7. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

some people just don't want to work really.. then it hurts the people that really do need the unemployment benefits .. c
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

QUOTE] But not usualy at the same job. 16 weeks at 1 co and 4 at another and you have your 20 wks.

Great info! The only problem with it is it takes time, time that is not compensated for the owner only the employee. And then you have the recprd to keep, more paper work. If as an indusrty all this would be taken into consideration prices would go up. Hrs. worked increased and yet I know of businesses that just chalk it up to the "cost " of being there own boss, when in fact they could make as much at the local Mickky Dees
    Sorry to get off subject but all the time and aggravation dealing with these situation needs to be made up somewhere and that somewhere is the final consumer of our service.
  9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

in fl you have to be 6months or longer and no less then 30hrs week and not your fault if fired
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You can find your State rules under The state Dept of Labor
    or the Labor Board for your state.Go to your state site and search from there.