Is there spray that makes mulch look new

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by griffy77, Jul 13, 2005.

1. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

Some one had told me that there is a spray that can make old mulch look new? Is this true or is he pulling my leg? Any you guys hear about this?
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

yes lesco has it and it works good
  3. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

You can always use brown or black paint :p

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

AM Leonard sells Mulch Magic in half gallon containers.Expect around 1500-1600 sq ft of coverage per bottle for a good color. Rinse it off of anything you overspray before it dries, though. Works really well, and makes a nice add on for mid summer between spring and fall mulchings. Turn the mulch over a little bit for the best look / coverage. The drier and older the mulch, the more colorant it will eat. At 1.75 cents per square foot cost, it's not bad..
  5. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

sounds like its pretty much just spray paint. I hate to imagine what a mess it is to deal with. Thanks guys for the info.
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

It's actually the same type of dye used in the injection systems in tub grinders. It's not a paint at all. It's completely water soluable, but it's best to rinse it off of siding or walks before it dries just to be safe. We charge a min. per square foot rate.Commercial clients love it, and considering a new mulch install with no weed control can run over $ .85 per square foot, it's an easy sell to high visibility clientele.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't this kinda like painting a road black instead of repaving it?

Seems like just another way for a cheap customer to "win".
  8. Cimarron Landscape

Cimarron Landscape LawnSite Member

's called water :D
    Seriously though, what do you think that stuff will do to the plants? Paint would kill them if it got on the foliage, and it can't be good for the roots. I agree with Jonholland, seems like a way for a cheap customer to win.

Why not top dress with another 2-3" that way the plants will have more nutrients to pull from and it's new.