Is there still a need for a 36inch Walkbehind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by mach14604, Apr 10, 2014.

1. mach14604

mach14604 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am looking at getting a 48" or 52" Walkbehind and getting rid of my SCAG 36inch Walkbehind. What is your opinions? Is it worth getting rid of it and going with a bigger deck or an I shooting myself in the foot? I have only two accounts that have a gated fence were I might need the 36" inch to get it in but I think I can make a 48" work also.

The two mowers I am looking at is a SCAG Pro-V 48" or 52" and Exmark Turf Tracer 48". Any Opinions are appreciated on the mowers also.

2. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

i had the same dilemma a couple weeks ago....i kept my 36" scag because it is already paid off, i have a few small yards, i have a few gated yards. Plus, to pick up more business in the future, i won't have to turn people down with gates. After figuring that i was going to keep my scag, i went out and bought a exmark turf tracer 52" and will be having both mowers on my trailer! Since i only have walk behinds, its not that big of an issue to pull around 2 mowers (weight wise) and they're easy to store. Plus, those little scags are damn near bullet-proof! they will last forever if taken care of. bottom line is: keep the scag and buy another mower to compliment it, then you'll have a small mower and a large mower to tackle any job you have thrown your way!

3. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

I personally think that a 36 Scag is priceless to have in the arsenal.

Not only gated areas but also hills and areas where it can be lifted up a wall..

We used to use ours for a mini bushhog too because it was so damn tough...

I currently run a Scag belt 48 along with my Walker and I literally feel naked without a 36...

While I am a long time Scag guy.... Turf Tracers are such sweet machines man.

4. Stathem Lawncare

Stathem Lawncare LawnSite Member

I have a john deere 36 inch walkbehind. I will not leave shop with out it. Great for the ditches and smaller lawns. I will get another when this one is done.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

Currently I run a 48 inch Turf Tracer with a Commercial 21 for gates and steep ditches, but I do think every
    I know even Brickman, Trugreen, Valley Crest and even a few other larger LCOs in the area have 32s and 36s on their trailers.

Quick question, do you Scag 36 guys use hydro or belt drive models? Curious as I want to know if I should go hydro or belt.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

A 36 is a must have if you ask me. Gated yards, tight areas, ditches to name a few.

7. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

What about the new toro 30s. Way cheaper and easy to use. That's what I use and love it but I've never tried a 36. Looks too bulky

8. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

A 36 is a must have imo. A commercial 36 will last many years and hours. The Toro/Exmark 30's are disposable and can't come close to the longevity, durability or overall production of a 36.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Church2224

You take care of the Commercial 30s and 21s and make sure your crew members are not idiots with them they will last a while, I know guys who got ten year old Toro commercial proline 21s. A 1000-1700 dollar mower should.

However I do agree I rather have a 36 than a 30, especially if you get a hydro.

10. Church2224

The problem with the 30s is that they are not as productive as a 36 plus a 36 you can get as a hydro. Hydro Walk Behinds are the best thing to happen to humanity since God invented attractive women. Also, 21s will fit more places than a 30 will. So I rather have a 36 and a 21 than just the 30.

Plus now I am doing commercial accounts I cannot see myself getting a 30 onto certain medians and tight areas a 21 will do. This is why most crews that the larger LCOs around me have a Honda or Exmark commercial 21 on their Commercial trailers and they have a hydro 36 on their residential trailers.