1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is there such a thing as a Good Backpack?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by N.TX, Dec 15, 2006.

1. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I have a Redmax 8000 which has constantly been in the shop.... ya it has great power will practically break stuff if you blow too close to some things but what good is power when its in the shop all the time. I havent read anything good about the Sthil 600. My 8000 got a new block just a few months ago.... Now it is fowling the plug every couple of hrs using the perfect gas mix. Cant figure out what is going on with it now but im tired of taking it to the shop i am about ready to chunk it. Is there a blower that you guys have really been satisfied with for any length of time.
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I've had great results with my Echo 750's. Put a lot of hours on a Shindaiwa EB8510 this fall too. The 8510 is heavier and bulkier than the 750's but the extra power is worth it for fall cleanups in the NorthEast.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Both my stihl br-420 AND my br-550 have given me years of trouble free service.

One thing I did learn is don't run them until they're completely out of gas.
    As soon as you realize that you're running low, you need to put more gas in it before it runs out.
    Someone told me this apparently helps.

Something to do with carbon and deposits, dunno, but it made sense at the time.
  4. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I've never had a problem with my stihl, i've had one for 4 years the other 2, only ever had to put new plugs in at the beginning of the season and replace the pull rope once on the older one. both usually start up with no more then 2 pulls
  5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Where have you been reading? I've had my 600 for about 4 months now, and i have not had any problems. I've also owned the 420 magnum and that thing is awesome. It just doesn't have as much power as the 600. Do a search on the stihl 600. I'm sure you'll find more good than bad from people who don't beat it to the ground (using 10 hours a day non stop).
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

North Texas....the Stihl BR420 still seems to be a solid machine but I did have to replace a head gasket on one of mine last week. I like the light weight and the low profile and packaging is good.
  7. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

no problems at all with my echo's (3x 650's and 1x 750)
    Strong and they run all day long
  8. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i'm not running nearly the same size blowers as ya'll are, but i've got an echo pb 403 i've been using consistently for about 2 years and haven't had a problem yet.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno... never had any serious trouble out of blowers over their lifetime.
    Never had an 8000 though.
    That blower I never liked... bought Echo's and Stihl's instead.

But RedMax now has the new EBZ8001's out.
    Those are my new favorite backpack now.
    Big improvement over the 8000.

Only time will tell how well they will stand up though.
    In a couple more years I'll be able to judge... LOL...
  10. horticulturedawg

horticulturedawg LawnSite Member

we have redmax 8000, 8001 and sthil br650... They all have their problems. The 8000 blows harder but is broken alot..The 8001s seem to be okay just a little weaker than the 8000. The sthil is crap.