Is there such a thing as shovel foot?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, Oct 30, 2006.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

I've noticed recently that my heels hurt when I walk barefoot on my wood floors. I finally realized its from shoveling. I've tried different footwear and shoe inserts and it seems to help some. I'm wondering if this is a common problem or if it will ever go away. (I'm still working on buying a trencher, but some jobs are too small for a trencher).

Dan

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard of it affecting the foot's heel but some guys develop problems with their arches of the foot they predominately engage the shovel with. A good quality shovel and sturdy boots helps a lot of folks.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Treat your feet to decent shoes. It will matter later on. Same with your knees. Kneepads are your friend.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Never invest in boots that cost less than $100.

I usually buy one good pair of boots a year, and still wear through them.

5. PurpHaze

Yup... I was denied knee pads over 15 years ago because district finances were so bad back then they "couldn't afford them." Six knee surgeries later including total knee replacement of the right knee would have bought a whole lot of knee pads. :dizzy:

In addition... Nothing like a good pair of knee pads to protect you from goatheads on 'dem puncture vines. Put one of those through your knee and you'll never forget your pads again. :)

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I have a set of knee pads that I never use.

I can't stand walking in them. I bet I'll use them more as I get older :)

7. PurpHaze

Ours are heavy duty plastic hinged ones with very thick rubberized padding and are quite comfortable. We get them from a local electrical supply outfit. They're so comfortable that if we're knocking out quickies and the sites are close we'll even drive with them on so we don't have to keep putting them back on.

8. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I am older and use them every day. Up till last week I even wore them with shorts! I already have bad knees from stupid dirtbike accidents as a kid. It's good comic relief watching me walk after being on my knees for 6 hours.

Wear them now Jon...

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

One can also buy trousers that have knee pads built into them.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What are boots?? :) Since all we do is service/repairs, I wear shoes or sandals that dry fast. I know you guys will bash me for it, but oh well. I've had way too many pairs of boots and sneakers that get wet, stink, almost rot away due to being wet constantly. And then your feet get the funk. I also don't wear jeans because they take forever to dry. If I was installing systems it would be different.

The joys of making decisions as a business owner!!