is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Jun 26, 2002.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

is there a mower that will not clump up in the damp sticky spring grass?:dizzy:

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My Scag clumps if you run over dog pee.

My Choppers do pretty darn good unless it's standing water. If it's standing then double blades spews it out like crazy.

Look for something with a high blade tip speed and a big discharge chute.

3. It was a Yazoo 24" high wheeled, self propelled, side discharge.
    It had a deck that must have been 7 or 8 inches deep. It was factory equipped with double blades. The upper blade was turned so it was flat against the air and was just to move the air.
    And boy did it ever! That mower would pick up pea gravel, the paddle blade hit it and just fire it out of sight.. Grass clippings? You couldn't even find them. Unless you looked in the parking lot, or stuck on the side of a building! The only person anyway near safe around that machine was the operator, and they had to wear protective gear. I got rid of it.

I know what you're talking about with clumping the Kentucky bluegrass here in Ohio in the spring. I think this was the first spring I didn't have a lot of clumping. There were different solutions for different mowers. Mostly it was double blades.

What's your situation? Are you running doubles?

Dave

4. Exmark

Dixie Chopper

Gravely

Hustler

Any others...........................................?

Have you ever thought of demoing mowers?