is there

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by exmark72, Sep 19, 2005.

1. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

is there a product out there spray or garnual that can be put on grass clippings and leaves to decompose them quicker

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, but there is a product that works microbially to eat up thatch accumulations due to excess clippings (not what true thatch is). It is called Ringer Restore.

3. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

im talking about a pile of clippings and leaves from bagging my lawn

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oh! Lime helps. Keep it turned. There are probably thousands of links from Google that can tell you how to properly maintain a mulch pile. When this is done, decomposition is at it's fastest. I hope this helps.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes sir, it's called Lime.

I used it last year on a pile of leaves, couple of bags on a half-decent size pile, basically I just tore a small corner out of the bag so then I poured it all over the pile, spread it by pouring it as best I could and let it go. Quick and dirty, 3 dollars/bag, I think I dumped around 10 bucks worth.
    It helped the leaves decompose at least twice as fast. I mean, it still takes TIME but in the end I was pretty impressed... One of my elderly lady customers told me this trick, she's pretty smart.

Dunno about grass clippings yet, but am ready to try the Lime on that as well, I got a few piles in my backyard need taming.

6. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

topsites did u use the peletized lime or the powder.

7. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Lime works. I also saw a small can of a product at Agway that says it does the same thing...no idea if it works.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You'll be using the powder. The pelletized (while it would work) is mainly manufactured for easier distribution through spreaders.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I always use pelletized just because I can't deal with all the dust the powder creates thou if you CAN deal with the dust, I suspect the powder would work faster. Still, I always use pelletized, I find the powder a pita, even if it's slightly cheaper it chokes me to death and gets into everything then a strong wind picks up and it's all hell breaking lose LOL

10. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Pile the clippings and leaves in layers with a thin layer of top soil in between layers. Layer the grass about 4 to 6 inches thick. Turn the pile with a pitch fork every few days. Nature will take care of the rest.