1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is this a blow head gasket?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scott's turf, May 6, 2003.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

My toyota truck is going through coolant really fast and runs a little rough at idle. I am pretty sure that it is a blow head gasket and would be pricey to fix so I think she may be going to the junkyard. I have not seen any puddleing under the truck. Does this sound like a blown head gasket to you?
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Water in the oil?
  3. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I just went through this...does it smoke a lot...if so, put something at the exhaust for a few seconds...if it's wet, yep, it's a blown head gasket...also, take out a sparkplug 1 at a time and turn the engine over...if there's water coming out of the plug hole, it's definatly a blown head gasket...this happened on my Chevy, took the head off and found a crack:eek: ...had to replace the head:angry:
  4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Oil in radiator??
  5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Well I have determined that it is a blown head gasket. The truck has been retired and I have bought a new F250. Check my post in the truck section. Thanks for your help guys.