Is this a Chinch bug? two pics

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Liendeni, May 10, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

These are all over the dying areas in this particular St. Aug Grass. Any good formula that I can buy without a license? Will be apply this to my mother's house....not a "for profit" residence. I'm not licensed so please don't send me any information to complicated. Thanks in advance.

chinchbug1.jpg

Cinch2.jpg

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Its too big to be a chinch bug. I think it is one of the many species of predatory bugs. They do not eat grass or plants but will eat caterpillars and harmful insects.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

4. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Those white lines you see in the back ground are what makes up a piece of printer paper....unseen to the naked eye. This bug is extremely small - I just have very expensive quality camera....used for things other than bug catching.

5. greendoctor

Try this for confirmation. Cut off the bottom of a coffee can. Drive that into a section of turf that straddles damaged and undamaged turf about 3 inches into the ground. Fill the can with water. The chinch bugs will be small and as described in that good link Roy posted. The water will make them float to the top. I suggest liquid Sevin or something containing bifenthrin, cyfluthrin or lambda-cyhalothrin. It is a good idea to water the whole lawn before spraying and water again lightly after applying the insecticide unless you are doing this through one of those ready to spray bottles that attach to the hose. St augustine in hot, dry locations gets this pest the worst. I remember maintaining a St augustine lawn in the 1990s. This was on a corner lot, 90 almost every day, less than 10 inches of rain per year. Back then, there was no Talstar or Tempo. I was on a rotation of Orthene, Sevin, Dursban, Turcam and Diazinon. If any of you have never heard of these insecticides, this is right before the EPA banned most organophosphates on residential turf and took Turcam off the market completely.

6. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Thanks doc. I actually saw that "coffee can" trick on the nightly news here in FLorida last night when they were talking about Chinch bugs. Probablem is...I don't drink coffee but I'll find something. Thank you for the information. My mother resod her entire yard about three years ago so I'm simply hoping to help her solve the problem before it gets out of hand. Thanks again for all your help. You don't need a license to purchase Sevin? Correct?

7. FL-lawnjockey

FL-lawnjockey Banned

Take all the advise given here & choose the best that suites your particular situation, needs & wallet.
    Then give http://www.southernag.com/ a call. I usually talk with Daryn or Wayne but it don't matter. Explain your situation, your equipment limits, $$ limit & see what products he/they recommend. They'll do you right.

Rob

8. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

looks like a big-eyed bug...chinch bugs natural predator

9. greendoctor

In most states, a 25% liquid Sevin is an insecticide permitted for use by homeowners. I found out that the three pyrethroid insecticides are sold as bifenthrin(Ortho Bug-B-Gon), cyfluthrin(Bayer Advanced) and lambda cyhalothrin(Triazacide). If this is a large lawn, I think it is best to call in a professional and have him put down a suitable insecticide with a power sprayer. I am a licensed LCO that rountinely deals with smaller turf areas under 10,000 sq ft and I still like the coverage obtained by a high pressure, high volume liquid application. For a 2000 sq ft lawn, I am applying insecticides at 3 gallons per 1000 and at 300 PSI through a boom.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rob

You have got to both Like and Respect Daryn, But don't ever expect a simple yes or no answer to your question. :D

BTW Anyone in south west Florida looking for a good supplier might want to talk with Southern Ag. They deliver. Daryn and J C are 3rd generation of a family owned business. They are a repackage plant that buys Chemicals in bulk and repackages them into all size containers. I have had the same delivery guys for over 10 years which tells me they are good to employees as well as me as a customer. I have never had any problems that they didn't stand behind.