Is this a deal???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bouncer, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

I ran across a used Grasshopper for sale and to me it sounds like a really good deal. I'm not too familiar with the Grasshopper brand so i wanted to get some opinions from you guys before i make a decision. Here is the information i have on it........

2000 model 720 front mount deck
    400 hours 52" cut 20hp Kohler

He wants $3500.00 for it and it's in really good condition.
    I would appreciate any reply from Grasshopper users or anyone knowing about these machines. Thanks Guys!!!:angel:
  2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know anything about the mower but, I know for a fact it's ugly.

Get an exmark or a dixie chopper. :p
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Did they tell you why they are selling it or if they have all of the maintenance records?

4. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

He is selling it because he purchased a new one this year with a 60 inch deck(i believe). He's only in this part time, said he did'nt need the other one. I dont know about the maintenance record but i'll find out, thanks!!:angel:
  5. Do you have either of these 3 mowers?

NO... I thought so.

If you don't know anything about the mower, it might not be a good idea to buy a used one, with no knowledge of maintaining or repairing this mower.
  6. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I know the guy Bouncer speaks of. His dad owns a mower repair business and has done all the repair and maintenance himself. I know the people and have reason to beleive that the mower is in good condition.
  7. lawnagent

Ok this is an old thread with new life. To make a long story short, there were legal issues involved with this mower and it is now, by order of a Judge, back in the hands of its original owner. He is offering to sell it to me on contract. It is a 721D The Model 721D has a 20.9-horsepower liquid-cooled Kubota, 3-cylinder OHV, horizontal crankshaft, diesel engine. it has the outfront deck. it has 450 hours on it. New tires all the way around and all new spindles and bearings in the deck. It also has all new belts. and the bill of sale to go with all of this. I can get it for $4,500. What do you all think?
  8. It sounds really great until you say 52" deck.
    How far does the deck stick out past the tires?
    Trimming might be difficult with a 52" front mount.

That 20 hp diesel should have a 60" deck. Then you'd have something.

New tires, spindle bearings and belts? Are you sure it's only 450 hrs?

9. lawnagent

I rode around on it today. I was drooling. That was a typoit should be 750 hrs he has 2 the other is a model 618 grasshopper, outfront deck, with an 18 horse Kohler gasoline engine.both are 52 inch decks the gas one has 55 hours onit. He wants $4,000 for the gas and $4,500 for the diesel. I cant see going for the gas. I want the diesel. the other guy basically took the parts off of this one and put it on the other he had just like it before the judge ordered him to return it. Thats why they are all new. They had to be replaced.
  10. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know much about grasshopper equipment, but with new spindles belts ect. that sounds very questionable for only 450 hrs. its either been rode hard and put up wet, or there is a problem with this unit. the deere ztr i sold this year had 700 hrs. never broke the first belt, let alone have spindle probs. just my .02