Is this a dumb idea?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firebrand, Oct 14, 2000.

1. Firebrand

Firebrand Banned

I thought of an idea today, that while not original, might be a good money making scheme during Christmas. I was thinking of printing up a bunch of fliers and going around a couple of day before Christmas and putting them on doors. They would say something like "Don't let that Christmas tree become an eyesore in the backyard or garage after Christmas morning. Give us a call we'll come pick it up promptly, and dispose of it for you." (this is rough so don't be too critical of the wording). I got this idea because this spring I had probably 5 people who had old Christmas trees in their backyard when I came to mow. I offered to haul them off for a fee, and they all were more than happy to have me do it. I know that some local high schools do some sort of fundraising doing this but not in my area of town. I live in an area that has a bunch of middle to upper income resi's, and my travel would be in about a 4 mile radius. I thought if my phone was ringing off the hook I could rent a chipper and do a whole bunch in a day or two. Sooo, what do you think? I was hoping maybe someone else had tried, or was doing this, that might have some thoughts. Thanks for your input.
  2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get a good response, it would probably be a good idea. The worst thing that could happen is people say "No, thanks." If they go for it, offer to take down Christmas decorations too. Made some good tips last year doing that.
  3. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

'round here only the lazy ones leave the tree in the back yard. The garbage haulers will take them with the regular trash.
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

When we 1st bought our Chipper (Bandit 200+) we thought about having a promo to all new snowplow customers to chip Chrismas trees after the holidays.

We decided not to. (We're so good, we don't need promo's :)) And we use the chipper behind a 4x4 that we plow with and didn't want the obligation in the middle of a big snow spell.

And, like was said, many municipalities and most trash services take care of this.

Bottom Line:
    If you're established and want to make more money, no go.

If you want to get you name out there and need a spring-board for more summer business, not a bad idea.
  5. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I tried that last year and didn't get one call. I only lost about 20.00 for flyers and that was all. I only charged 10.00, i don't get it. Oh well, I 'll probley try agian this year, got nothin to lose. I 'm gonna try interior painting and christmas decorating too.
  6. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm out in the country these days so the tree has gone on the burn pile the last couple of years, but in the city the Boy Scouts did this as a fund raiser--they hauled them to a central point and the city chipped them for mulch.
  7. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

check with the county-city waste removal around here they suck up leaves in the street gutter and have bulk trash days a few times a year not sure what the deal is on xmas trees but I do see alot of them out in the street after xmas
  8. Turf Kutter

Turf Kutter LawnSite Member

Well a guy did that same idea one year put fliers and he charged you but the garbage men take everybody`s here.:)