Is this a fair price for a DC?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skipwatson, Jul 20, 2001.

1. skipwatson

skipwatson LawnSite Member

2001 Dixie Chopper model XW2503-60, 25 HP Kohler engine, 60" deck. The dealer's asking $8,200. Is that reasonable? Also, any comments about this particular model?

Thanks in advance for your help, everybody!

Skip

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

They may have gotten all the bugs out of that 25hp kohler but I wouldnt bet 8500$ on it. Not when you can get the 26hp kohler efi or the 27hp kawasaki. Seems like a fair price for anywhere though

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This model is the painted model with an OCDC, Donaldson Air Filter and the better seat.

The XW2500 is the stainless steel model with all the best air and oil filtering and coolers. This model is about $1500 more, but I feel it is worth the extra money. You might be able to get this dealer to come down a bit on that price. Last year some members said they were getting them for around $7500. Some dealers say they are asking suggested retail price, but then come down. Some just give you their lowest price, so play with the numbers. :)

4. skipwatson

skipwatson LawnSite Member

Thanks, Eric! At this point in the season I feel like I can hold out and try to get the best model, hopefully at a good price. I can't afford the top of the line, but I'm hoping you and/or the other members can advise me your recommendations for a 60" Chopper for $8,500 or less.

Thanks again for your help!

Skip

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Skip,I bought my xw2500-00 top of line,(its supposed to be anyway),for 8700 brand new.The list was 10000,but no one will pay that much for a 60" mower with a thrashy 25 kohler.If I were you,@Id get the honda 24hp,on a deluxe Dixie,I hear they go for about 8500 too.The Honda should run better,smoother,and much quieter than the kohler.If you ever want to sell it,.you'll quickly sell it with a honda engine,while the 25 kohler wil kill its resale value,since everyone knows they are garbage.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Garbage? Hmmm...I've had 4 mowers with Kohler engines (12.5, 14, 14, and 18hp) and I've only had one ever fail to start in 9 years in the business. That one had a bad ignition coil, but that mower was 6 years old and I'd bought it used for $1,000 4 years before. Cost to fix....$80. The mower transmissions, wheels, decks, etc fail before the engines do.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

brucec32
    John was referring to the Kohler 25hp which he has and he has had problems with it. Not all Kohlers are bad and I can prove that wrong since I've had great luck with Kohlers, but I've never had a 25hp Kohler.

I have a 22hp Kohler with 3525 hours that still runs good and Bill Parish (FineLinesLawn) has a 22hp with almost 4,000 hours on it. I also know several guys with 25hp Kohlers that have had ZERO problems with them.

My dealer has even had problems with the 25hp Kohlers that he has on his Choppers for his lawn biz. He is replacing them with the 23hp Kohlers.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

One note about the Kawaski and Honda powered Dixies...

Neither of these engines is available at this time with the engine life enhancing features that the Kohler comes with. The Kohler comes with a Turbo Pre-cleaner (gets rid of most dust and dirt before it ever gets to the air cleaners), a Donaldson air cleaner, a factory air cleaner, 2 engine oil coolers (factory Kohler and a larger seperate cooler) as well as a Amsoil bypass oil filter.

Also, if you have a problem backing into things you need to be carefull with the Kawasaki engine because except for the low mounted angle iron bumper there is nothing between the engine and whatever you might hit. They need to put a cage around this engine.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have other Kohlers too,they have been great engines,the 25 is a big dissapointment for me,I always thought they made great engines until I bought this one.

10. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

Lets see i paided $85.00.00 out the door for a xw2303 year 2000
    with the donson air filter no stainless steel, 60inch deck,
    I'll say your getting a pretty good deal. 50 miles west of
    chicago is where i got my deal or not.:blob3: