Is this a good deal on an Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtelliott6, Jan 28, 2005.

1. jtelliott6

jtelliott6 LawnSite Member

In our local trader is an 2004 Exmark 5219 w/ 19 hp Kaw., 52" cut, Mulch kit, stripe kit, and del. seat for $5500. Is that a deal? No hours listed for the mower.

2. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

seems like a good price to me with all the extra it has , but on the same note 52inch deck and only 19 hp that sounds like one of there homeowner models . it wont have enough power for commercial work

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It's a bit under-powered. That's probably why it is still sitting there un-sold. It might be good for cutting grass in dry weather, but it would have trouble dealing with tall, wet grass...especially if you were mulching with it. I have a 23 HP Kawasaki on my 52 inch Hustler Z and there are times that I wish I had a little more power.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Sounds like a good deal to me providing that it doesn't have too many hours on it and is in very good condition.

5. hulan2

hulan2 LawnSite Member

I beg to differ. My 52'' Toro with the 19 hoss has no problems even with wet grass.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

A 52", 19 horse exmark is a Laxer CT. A homeowner machine.

I'll beg to differ as well...........A 19 horse motor on a 52 inch machine will absolutely choke in northern grasses.

The $5500 price tag is not all that great for a lazer CT, considering you can probably buy a new one for just about as much.

7. bscw1234

bscw1234 LawnSite Member

I believe I am the one who has the Exmark 5219 listed for sale in the local Southern Illinois Trader. I did omit the hours from the trader by mistake. I believe the mower to have about 30 hours or less on it. The tach now shows 9 hours and the first tach quit working at 14 hours. This is a homeowner model mower. It does also have an arm rest kit. It has provided me with me trouble free operation. I would not be afraid to put this mower in a commercial situation. It did cut my mowing time from two full evening per week to only one short evening per week. I have never lacked for power with the 19hp kawasaki engine. Exmark is moving to a Briggs engine this year on these models and I believe that to be step backward. As for the mulch kit, I believe it to be the best one I have ever used.

In conclusion I have priced my mower fairly for the extra equipment that is included and the low hours. I may be contacted by responding here or at bward4020@hotmail.com

8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't see how 19hp on a 52 is under powered. My Ferris has a 14hp with a 48" deck and it will only bog down a bit while mowing and pulling me on the Velke up hill... Wet grass? Well dam how long is the grass you cut? I have yet to experience a mower feel under powered due to wet grass, unless of course you want to talk about my 6hp Murray....

9. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

i had a 23hp 60" exmark on demo not too long ago and it was lacking pretty badly in the power department. I can't see how a 19hp 52" would be better off.

On a side note, one local dealer that is closing out exmark has a 19hp, 52" deck machine brand new for around $4900.00. They're just trying to get rid of it since they are not going to be selling exmark anymore. I have entertained the thought of buying it and putting a 27hp kohler on it since my dad works for a company that sells kohler and honda small engines and I could get a helluva good deal on one.

But back to the original comment, I can't see using a 52" deck with anything less than 23hp with the stuff we have to cut around here.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The mower in question is a ZTR. It probably weighs twice as much as your 48" WB. A 52" ZTR with a 19 HP engine is seriously underpowered for commercial use.