Is this a good deal on box truck???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, Nov 29, 2010.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

04 GMC 16' box, 6.0 gas, 124,000 miles, $8000. It was a Budget rental truck.

2. delaford321

delaford321 LawnSite Member

Hi mileage for gas.

3. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Yes, but I don't plan to put a lot of miles on it. I have a 97 Chevy 1/2 ton that I have had for about 2 1/2 years, it has about 130,000 with very few problems.

I found another truck just like the one mentioned but for 7k.

I plan to have a dovetail and ramp added and get it lettered or wrapped.

67 lookers and only one reply????????

4. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I'm actually looking at Isuzu's at I-75 truck sales. They are 18-20' and have a side door. All are gas(6.0 or 350's)-They claim that a gas engine is inexpensive to replace and that they don't even carry diesel's. The mileage is usually over 100,000 and the price ranges from $6900-$12,000. They can put dovetails on them, racks, cages, paint them, wrap them, etc. I don't see anything wrong with high mileage if you're keeping it local-In this business, you can't afford to travel a long ways. I'm choosing this over new-I can't comprehend how people can pay $50,000 for a truck and pay for it mowing grass?!!!!!!!

5. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Is this place in Ga?

6. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

If you go gas get a 350 not the 6.0. 350's last forever and are cheap to replace. 6.0 is a more complicated engine and will be more costly for repairs, etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The van was a rental I would avoid it, usually Budget rental vehicals are okay but it is still a rental. The mileage is okay the engine should be good for a few more miles probably good for 150,000.

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Gravel Rat's right about the rental aspect...I'd hesitate to buy a rental with going over it with my mechanic first. But that's with any vehicle...but usually rental drivers don't know what they're doing...hopefully the rental company had a good maintenance program...check out the Carfax.

But I know some 6.0's with over 200k on them and no problems.

Some motors are more prone to problems than others...yes. But proper maintenance goes a long way. Just try to have a trusted mechanic check it out.

9. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Yea, the place I'm talking about is in Ga. south of Atlanta. They do financing-50% down and finance for a year if you can swing that.

10. ELS LLC

ELS LLC LawnSite Member

Personally I think it's a bit high. Offer them 5k for it. Remember it was a RENTAL. Hit the auctions I see those going around 4-5k for rentals.