1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

is this a good deal on hosting

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i think it's perfect for you.

3. Frontier-Lawn

how come? becuase its cheap/simple to use for starting out?

4. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

5. tonygreek

because it's inexpensive, has templates, great direction, a well-known company that you know will not go out of business tomorrow, and can handle those less experienced with web publishing.

too many people select on price, but there's a dirty secret when it come's to many of those. a lot are fly-by-night operators who are simply reselling another company's services under the guise of their own company. you'd be amazed at the vast number of people that lose their sites and have no idea where the responsibility lies.

tony

6. Frontier-Lawn

well page builder wontload to set up the site now what, and the emails i sent to yahoo come back. ps my yahoo im wont contect ether. are they going out of bizz? :p

7. mruth77

mruth77 LawnSite Member

I think the deal is lousy, too high of a price for hosting plus they don't give you much storage for files. :pumpkin:

8. Frontier-Lawn

i have a spare comp with a 40mb hd how would i host my own site on it (i have a cable modem)

9. tonygreek

12 bucks a month is too expensive? 2 gig is too little storage?
    find me the typical lco that, with proper site construction, has more than a couple of MB used of that storage capacity, and that would be someone with many pics of their work. as a point of reference, chrysler's website could be hosted on that plan, albeit the traffic is another story.

i would always direct a newbie to a company that is geared towards that market any day of the week. you could get hosting for less than that but you also are damn near on your own and don't know whether the money you've paid will vanish with the host and i know icc is on a budget.

now, if icc says he's got a bit of web experience, then sure.

tony

10. tonygreek

icc, as far as hosting on your own pc:
    NO NO NO NO...

1.) you might not have a static IP address
    2.) it is a huuuuuge security risk.
    3.) if you decide to do it, let me know and i'll happily arrange to show you what the risk is. :waving:
    4.) see #2

tony