Is This a Good Deal on Used Scag Walk Behind???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mbeck, Jun 9, 2008.

1. mbeck

mbeck LawnSite Member

Scag 36" Ultimate Hydro w/sulky and mulch kit--95 hours

Stopped at scag/hustler dealer today to look at new walk behinds. They told me about a used scag they are selling for a guy. Was dirty but overall looked good. Started on second pull, ran good. No noticeable transmission problems. Needs a tune up and a few other minor things. Got in touch with the owner tonight and he told me it is 2 years old, reason for selling is because he sold his lawn business, got new job, and relocated. Paid $6100 new. Said he just wants to get rid of it, has no use for it. Asking $2500, will sell to me for $2000 Should I be leary. Sounds too good to be true-almost. Any thoughts?

2. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Why does it need any work with only 95 hours?

Otherwise, you have 2 scags already and probably know more than I do. I'd probably buy it. I looked at a beat Gravely today with 800 hours. Dealer wants $2500. He showed me the same one last year.

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

gear or hydro? floating or fixed deck? floating aint really needed on a 36" but $6100 sounds high for a fixed deck. sounds good depending on the repairs needed.

4. mbeck

mbeck LawnSite Member

Just minor tune up for prevent maint. Just to make me happy. I like all my equipment running top notch. Minor things need attention like filter box cover replaced, steering adjustment, new blades, a bath. Its the hydro.

5. dura to the max

from georgia

sounds decent if you need it. dont buy it just to buy it. it doesnt sound like you could flip it if need be.

6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Gautreaux's is a good trustworthy dealer.

7. ParisHumphrey

ParisHumphrey LawnSite Member

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

if you paid 6000 for WB you would have paid way to much...IMO

2K isn't a bad price by any stretch...its about 1/2 off of a new one...

10. dura to the max

from georgia

absolutlely right. you can get a brand new TTHP hydro, 48" floating deck, electric start for less than that. not saying its a better mower, but its the only one im familiar w/ on new pricing.