Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2006Silverado, Jun 29, 2007.

1. 2006Silverado

2006Silverado LawnSite Member
    from GA

Newbie here, looking to start a lawn care business. Just looking for opinions on a deal on some equipment.

The guy wants $7500.
    Includes: Exmark 36" Turf Tracer WB (hydraulic)
    Exmark 21" 6.5hp Pushmower (push, not self-propelled)
    Stihl HL100 Trimmer (straight)
    Stihl FC75 Edger
    6x14 split gate, dbl-axle trailer, w/racks
    WB Edger (not sure on brand or model)

Everything was used for 1 day, then put away for 7 months...

Any ideas? Should I jump all over this? Or should I be patient and wait for better deal?

2. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

OK, lets break this down

#1, most importntly what's it worth to you? Will this fit your needs?

#2 break it down piece by piece (this is what I think they would cost, as is)
    - 36" TT - 3000
    - 21" - 300?
    - HL100 - 350
    - FC75 - 275
    - 6x14, priced these out a year ago around 1400
    - Edger - 150? (assuming homeowner model)

Grand Total - $5000 to $6000

I say NO DEAL

Go out and buy what YOU need, not what someone else needed.

3. 2006Silverado

from GA

Here's what I was quoted by a dealer for pricing:

Exmark 36" TT $5000
    Exmark 21" pushmower $900
    HL100 Trimmer $520
    FC75 Edger $300
    The trailer, w/rack and basket, dbl-axle, I'm guesstimating about $1400-2000???

4. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

yeah, so it's a good deal, but not amazing, and only worth it to you if you need all of it. If you do, then go for it, but remember that you may be better off buying a used fixed deck walk behind and a nice trimmer and trailer for a couple grand less.

It's you money, I'm just trying to help you make the best decision. Also those dealer prices may be before any negotiation as well.

5. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

Also, your looking at a bottom of the line (as far as exmark goes) 21", and a top of the line 36", why not split the difference and buy a fixed deck 36 and a self propelled 21. I really don't think you're gonna get much of an advantage having a floating deck on a mower that's only 36".

Personally, I would go out, buy a Quick 36, an exmark, honda,or toro 21", a nice stihl trimmer, and a brand new $1400 trailer, so as to not have to deal with inspection, tags, etc. I think you could get the total package for under 5500.

6. 2006Silverado

from GA

gavin, I definately appreciate the feedback. I'm not trying to dismiss anything your saying. But like I said, I'm a newbie. So I guess I'm figuring this is pretty much everything good to have to start with. The WB, trimmer, edger, trailer...I know the trailer I could get cheaper, but I guess I'm figuring I will eventually want to add a rack and basket to it anyway. The push mower, I figure while not a necessity, it wouldn't hurt to have it, plus I was going to let my kids use it to mow lawns in our neighborhood.

I guess my main thinking is ok I know I could get out of it cheaper, but would that mean I save a few grand now, but things get going and in 6months I end up spending the same if not more anyway to get the same setup?

7. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

I'm just questioning whether that's the best setup for you. If you're dealing with larger properties over 1/4 acre, you will benefit more from a 48. If you're only running a 36, why not get a smaller trailer, unless you want to do landscaping later on. When I started out I got a 20 footer and love it, but I also run with 2 zero turns.

another thing to consider on this is that the warranty clock has been ticking on these machines for a while now, and they haven't even been broken in yet. Another thing to consider.
    I also couldn't imagine paying $900 for a 21" and STILL having to PUSH it? I think thats just crazy.

I'm telling you right now also, you're most likely NEVER going to use that edger and maybe even not the stick edger. Once you get at it, it's almost more hassle than it's worth to run back to the truck and get another machine to do the same job your trimmer could. Just my opinion.
    Also a rack and box will not run you that much. I just bought a barely used 16' with dual 3500 axles, racks, boxes, and organizers for $1600.

The bottom line is, you can save several thousand now, invest it back in your business, and grow it. Look around and decide what you want. Good luck.