Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by flamed69, Aug 1, 2007.

1. flamed69

flamed69 LawnSite Member

I am new to this business and took over 15 accounts from a friend. I found a 2000 walker for sale at my local dealer. He told me it does not run and needs a rebuild and some new linkage. It needs some new paint and the catcher das a crack. I am not sure of the hours on it. He is asking 1900 for it is this a good deal?

2. ferris_1972

ferris_1972 LawnSite Member

I am be off base here but a 7 year old mower that doesn't run. I think you can do better. I am trying to sell a 2003 Wright Stander with 400 hours on it for $3000. Keep looking.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

if a dealer cant get it to run...........then you RUN.....

bad deal...dont touch it

4. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

No way! For $1900 you can get something (like a good used walkbehind) running with lower hours. Don't waste your time and I don't know about a dealer trying to sell something that does not run. Is he a dealer or a junk yard. Dealer most likely took it as a trade on a new mower and is now trying to unload on you.....a newbie.... run like the wind and don't go back. Good luck.

5. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

absolutely!!!!!

6. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

Good deal for the dealer! Not You

7. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Run Forest, Run!!!

8. flamed69

flamed69 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. the dealer was planning on getting it running and selling it. But it turned out he was one of my dads old buddies from high school and said he would sell it to me so I plan on offering him 1500 and not anymore. I have a neighbor tha tused to be in the business that offered to help me rebuild it also. I think it could go both ways I will just see what he says and I really appreciate the advice.

9. FoxLawnCare

FoxLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Find something better thats a waste of time

10. ferris_1972

ferris_1972 LawnSite Member

Do not do it. As evidenced by every reply on here. I don't think it matters who knows who. If you are spending that much money on something it NEEDS to be in working condition. Do not put any money into that there is a reason it was traded in in the first place. Spend the $2000 that you would end up putting into that on something else.