is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lildog132, Jun 9, 2003.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

im wanting to spend about 1500 on a commercial walk behind, and i saw this, is this a good deal? they arn't telling the brand of the mower because they said "its due to an agreement with the manufacturer" but they say "its made by a major manufactuturer" tell me what you guys think
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

where is the mower located? is this a special dealer promo price, or did you see this in the for sale section of the paper? if its in the paper, id be a little leary about that not telling the name deal......I dont think anyone will be able to tell you whether its a good deal without knowing the brand, size of deck and motor, gear or hydro etc...
  3. lildog132

its in a magazine and the parts are sold sepratley, the parts are:

1. 12.5 hp Kawasaki power unit -$1000
    2. 32" two blade deck -$300
    3. A set of 4 weels - $100

So its basically $1400 for it. and than it says the power unit is a Hydro gear Hydrostat, and all the control. so is that a good deal???? whats a Hydro gear Hydrostat? im sorta new at this, does that mean it turns on its own? or am i going to have to lift it up to turn??
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

That particular one is on and it is a single hydro drive like a Ferris single hydro drive, which means it has variable speed but not true zero turning. It uses individual wheel brakes like a belt drive walk behind to turn it. They don't list the name but it is a Great Dane. Probably not a bad deal... but... well as has been said you get what you pay for. I don't think you'll get burned on it, but it's not a dual hydro drive, it's a hybrid belt/hydro drive (not true zero turning). Let us know if ya get it and how it works out.
  5. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

So what about belts, hand controls, the blades themselves etc. etc.? Spend the extra 5 or 6 hundred bucks and get the 36 Ex-mark for $1,999, at least that is what they sell for here with the regular controls not ECS. Also consider the warranty and who is going to service it? Can you afford to go down for 2 weeks at the time? As they always say, you get what you pay for!!
  6. lildog132

whats ECS? and if it doesn't have tru zero-turn radius than can i still make it look good? with even lines? or is it just really hard to do?? please explain, it will help me alot to know what im buying before i buy it. thanks:)
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

its not worth the potential problems you could have, buy a true commercial deck from a dealer. Chances are they have used/demo'd models and will let them go at a good price.
  8. Old 5 LawnCare

Old 5 LawnCare LawnSite Member

I will be buying one of these units in a few months, it is going to be my winter project.

I will be taking the 15hp Kaw. off of my 36"TTHP and puting it on this unit, while puting the 18 hp Kohler on the 36" Exmark.

Both my Exmarks have mulching kits on, I figure I will get a bagger so I can bag or side discharge with this unit. Also I can do some of the crappy yard where I dont like taking the Exmarks.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

...and the fool that buys it-$Priceless:dizzy:

Stay away from deals that are to good to be true. That deal could sink your business.
  10. lildog132

why is it bad? how do you know if it's a bad deal or not???? my budget is tight, and i cant spend a whole lot of money, i can only spend about $1500